When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comparison of 24-704 Gen crown to aftermarket crowns....

Justasgood

I swear I am going to get to the bottom of this.

Here is a new in package 24-704 Triplock crown:

001-6.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

here is the GEN compared to all the Aftermarket crowns I have....(They were bought as aftermarket with the associated aftermarket tubes):

Notice, the Gen on the left has a smaller opening at the base of the crown relief. The aftermarket crowns are more round and bigger openings.

005-7.jpg

006-6.jpg

007-7.jpg

009-5.jpg

010-4.jpg

012-5.jpg

014-3.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-2.jpg

Here is the aftermarket tube next to a Gen(All the tubes that came with the afore-mentioned crowns snapped on install):

017-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

019.jpg

020-1.jpg

Now, I am anxious for anyone to post a pic of a 24-703 new in package that has the same relief and single construction as the aftermarket crowns I have shown.

I have installed no less than 35 New Gen 24-703 triplock crowns and they are all crimped style and have the Crown relief like these:

016-1.jpg

018.jpg

Somebody please help me make sense of this.:-)

Regards,

Kurt.

I swear I am going to get to the bottom of this.

here is the GEN compared to all the Aftermarket crowns I have....(They were bought as aftermarket with the associated aftermarket tubes):

Notice, the Gen on the left has a smaller opening at the base of the crown relief. The aftermarket crowns are more round and bigger openings.

005-7.jpg

006-6.jpg

007-7.jpg

009-5.jpg

010-4.jpg

012-5.jpg

014-3.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-2.jpg

Somebody please help me make sense of this.:-)

Regards,

Kurt.

Comparing those photos to this one:

007-5.jpg

I would say that the above crown is aftermarket, and seeing how easy it is to see the larger opening on the base of the coronets of the aftermarket, nothing will convince me that the above crown is gen.

Interesting discussion.

@ Justasgood , where did you get your gen crwons from ??

I can imagine that it's also easy to rep the packaging of the so called "gen" crowns.

If they come from an AD or an authorized repair centre i assume they are gen but every crown bougth via another source could be repped.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Hey Kurt,

as its its one of my crowns in question guess i should say something... I brought ten "gen" crowns off of a reputable Rolex dealer of which this is one and have never had any reason to question there authenticity.

I must say though if you had given me a test as to whether your gen crown out of the packaging or mine was real i would have to say mine. The crown on yours doesn't seem sharp enough and the dots seem way too big and messy.

But saying that i'm sure Rolex have more than one place producing crowns and differences as we have seen in other areas are possible.

the saga continues....

Cheers

P.

Okay just to reitterate what i said in my last post here's a cross section of ten modern and vintage crowns. On close inpection they all have slight differences.... yes?

Are you happy now Kurt.. :victory:

SubCrowns2.jpg

Hey Peter,

No issue with you or your crown.....I am just trying to get a handle on the variations.

Look at your picture of crowns. The ones with the dots closest to the crown are probably crimped....the others, 1 piece.

I have confirmed that the 24-704 from Rolex is a 1 piece crown with a different relief.

I just don't think that any 24-703 crowns are 1 piece.

This is more an exercise for my neurosis.

Okay just to reitterate what i said in my last post here's a cross section of ten modern and vintage crowns. On close inpection they all have slight differences.... yes?

Are you happy now Kurt.. :victory:

SubCrowns2.jpg

To be fair, they do not all appear to have differences...

Middle crown, top row, and far right crown, bottom row, have the same lower coronet shape as the crown K took from the packet, and is unquestionably a gen crown. The other crowns all have the same lower coronet as identified as 'aftermarket', and fitted to the watch in the photo... Those are clearly identifiable coronet shapes.

If I might make a suggestion? Might this be an example that both crown types are 'genuine Rolex manufacture', but one type is as issued 'from the factory', and the other type as issued as an aftermarket 'stand alone' part?

I'm not claiming to be an expert, just contributing my observations :)

Enough, all of you! I'm far more tolerant, so if somebody wants to offer me a nice crown/tube set, at a fair price, I'll accept it gladly :)

Dean

Dean,

I agree, if someone wants to give me an aftermarket set or sell me an aftermarket for $30/set crown and tube great......but if Aftermarket are represented as Gen at a cost of $100+ for a set.....big issue. (Not referring to anyone in paticular)

So let me see if I have this straight. A 703 crown is crimped- does this mean an ss wrapper is basically shrink wrapped around a base metal core? And a 704 crown is solid stainless. So, I'm assuming they're interchangeable, with the 704 just being the next in line in the evolution of quality.

So let me see if I have this straight. A 703 crown is crimped- does this mean an ss wrapper is basically shrink wrapped around a base metal core? And a 704 crown is solid stainless. So, I'm assuming they're interchangeable, with the 704 just being the next in line in the evolution of quality.

Yes and yes though Rolex has not designated the 704 for replacement of the 703.