When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ocean Racer on a Breitling deployant strap a mod for any man

FxrAndy

There was a post but i cant find it, (think it was hackr), about a custom strap with an ocean racer buckle and it looked great, so great i wanted to to do it mt self.

Edit i have been pointed in the right direction thanks Guys it was JohnG hereEdit end

So i got in touch with the same person vie this email watchgallery88@gmail.com

so the transaction went smooth as silk absolutely no problems

So how do we fit this to a Breitling deployant strap. well both sides need modding and shortening dependant on your wrist as there is only 1cm of adjustment max

First then i did was use a crap strap to to make sure i got it right and see which end should be what length and get the process right.

DSCF0547.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

DSCF0550.jpg

So the process

Once you have worked out what side to use on which side of the buckle mark where the end has to be, then about 4mm back from that make a cut at 45 deg half way throught the strap towards the end you are going to cut off. Try not to cut through the thick stitching on the front of the strap as we will need this later.

DSCF0553.jpg

You will find that you have cut through the thinner stiching at the back, not a problem, use some super glue to hold this stitching in place, now pick the loose stiching away on the end that you are going to be cutting off so that you have a good coupel of CM of thick thread loose, Now you can thin the leather down so that it is about a mm thick if not less so that it can be folded back to create a loop for the spring bar 20mm,

DSCF0556-1.jpg

Then push the loose thick thread through to the back

DSCF0554.jpg

This can now be secured with super glue again, i find that super glue bonds the nylon really well and stops it all unraveling later.

DSCF0558.jpg

Now the flap you have left over needs thinning again to be able to fold over so that it will fit into the buckle with a spring bar in it. Once you are happy then it can be glued, for this i use UHU craft glue as it always stuck leather well and it is flexible. I use a small cheep vise to hold it together while the glue sets and a steel bar to ensure that the hole for the spring bar remains

DSCF0555.jpg

Once you have dont this and tidied up any glue that squesed out you can fit it up.

But for my project i need to do a bit more because this is for a Blackbird, Not a bling watch at all

DSCF0561.jpg

I need to make this match. BB are brushed/satin on top and polished on the side, so with some masking tape, a dremmil brushing wheel and a scotch brite pad i got a bit of treatment

DSCF0562.jpg

The wings got a re-polish

DSCF0564.jpg

And that was that!

DSCF0565.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

One last word or warning, measure twice, you don't have a lot of play on this, mine is a touch looser than i would prefer on a cold day but a warm day it will be fine, i may need to let it out a mm in the adjuster but i am on the smallest setting right now.

Who ever did this first thanks for the inspriation and can you send me a link so i can add it in. Thanks for reading.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys i have a question what thickeness is the BCE bracelet where it meets the buckle???? if it is 20mm i think that a BCE bracelet can be added to one of these and make a great bracelet combo

Any one have a spare, old one scratched up one laying round?

• 11 months later...

Hi Andy,

Yes it fits, only once in you cant get the push pin out so beware ;-)

Also didn't like the look of it,

QUestion though:

Did you have to do both sides of your leather strap?

In my case otherwise one is 8.8cm long and the other 5,2 in order to fit snug (my rubber Ocean racer is 7 mm on each side)