When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Question

ofgortens

I am looking into getting the Rolex Milgauss from one of the reputable dealers and am curious as to the differences between some of the movements offered in the Milgauss GV. (Asian 3131 Clone, Swiss ETA 2836-2, Asian 2836-2)

There is a considerable price difference between the 3 different movements offered, all beating at 28800 bph. From what I have gathered, it is not worth the money to go with the 3131 clone as it pretty much just adds a bridge to the balance wheel which is not needed. As for the comparison between the swiss ETA 2836-2 and the Asian 2836-2, I am not very familiar. Would you warrant the extra $70 for the Swiss ETA 2836-2?

Thanks!

+1 with Slick. The gen Swiss movements from China are often dirtier ones...or WERE clean and get buggered up when the thing is assembled.

With the Asian clone ETA...you save the money up front, and get a dial and hands and datewheel which are ETA compatible...so you can source a brand new one from a reputable supplier that will be clean, new and ready to go for a straight movement swap when needed.

Thanks for your inputs! I think I will go with Asian clone. Toad, you mentioned an easy deal when needed... this would not be the case with a 21j Asian movement would it?

21j movements are cheap and easy to replace too...much cheaper than the ETA...like $15-20 vs. >$100. The issue is that they don't feel is nice (they feel cheap), not worth repairing but they can be workhorses. The only issue with movement swaps is the datewheel overlays if required...transferring these without damage.

I've read but you'll have to confirm if possible on your specific watch, that a Miyota 8215 is a great generally drop-in replacement to the standard DG2813 that is used in most a21j reps or as Zig says requiring only minimal modification to fit. Some go for the DG4813 which is hard to find in the version with the proper higher cannon pinion.

The issue with the Miyota is it doesn't hack (if you care) and is a slower beat than the ETA (not as smooth sweep...but not bad).

I have a bunch of a21j's that are still ticking strong after a couple of years of occasional use.