When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problems with Sinn watches asian mvmt?

gtanak

Hi all,

I have been informed by a dealer that the current batches of Sinn esp U1 with the asian 2813s have problems. Can anyone who has recently received their Sinn U1s or other models with similar movements comment on this? Also, for those ordering this, please check properly with the dealer before proceeding. Please PM me if you need to know which dealer.

Gerald

I just picked up a Sinn U1 with the asian 2813. It keeps good time, but the second hand kinda skips. It'll stall on a second marker for 2 seconds or 6 beats then jump 2 or 3 seconds in one step. Reminds me of the clocks in my old highschool.

Otherwise it is a very beautiful watch.

I just picked up a Sinn U1 with the asian 2813. It keeps good time, but the second hand kinda skips. It'll stall on a second marker for 2 seconds or 6 beats then jump 2 or 3 seconds in one step. Reminds me of the clocks in my old highschool.

Then there very well may be a problem with this movement. :g: That being said, Im happy your happy with your Sinn :) Mike

Then there very well may be a problem with this movement. :g: That being said, Im happy your happy with your Sinn :) Mike

Case, dial, lume, and the aesthetic aspects are excellent. The movement is a wait and see. It likely will need a new movement soonere than later.

My advice on this modle, it is a Buy but only with the 28,800 ETA engine.

Case, dial, lume, and the aesthetic aspects are excellent. The movement is a wait and see. It likely will need a new movement soonere than later.

I actually made a review of this problem, sounds exactly like what you described. Think you can search Sinful minute in youtube.

Its apparently a batch problem and like you suggested, its better to take a high beat version, i already placed an order for my U2, Swiss 2836 - IMO a great movement.

Will review once i receive it.

Sounds like good advice :)

gtank, yep that is ***EXACTLY*** what happens.

Anyone know which movements can be swapped for this asian 2813? Clearly she needs new muscle under the hood.

Perhaps a swiss 2836? Cos my dealer offered me to pay for the difference and upgrade but i opted for a refund. It kept great time but i couldnt take my mind off the skipping! Now i got a swiss U2 hopefully it'll run great like my prev gmt iic on 2836

Maybe talk to ur dealer?

So what is the cause of the skip? Seems like it is slipping a gear but yet the time keeping is spot on. I lost, maybe, a minute this past week. But the skipping is undeniable. What's happening under the hood that allows for the skipping but still keeps pretty good time?

• 3 weeks later...

Got the similiar problem with my millgauss asian 2813. Got the watch from local dealer. The watchsmith cant fixed the problem, so the dealer gave me new watch. Whats wrong with this movt?

Got the similiar problem with my millgauss asian 2813. Got the watch from local dealer. The watchsmith cant fixed the problem, so the dealer gave me new watch. Whats wrong with this movt?

Well, since i returned my watch, dun have the chance to take it apart to investigate.. but from the way it skips.. might seem like worn out teeth on the gears? Might also be a batch problem with all the 2813s and may sort itself out by the next few batches.. Anyway, if your dealer can guarantee a swiss ETA (And of course you must check when you receive it), i'll go that way. My U2 runs so smoothly on 2836-2 ETA

It's my understanding that all 2813's with big seconds hand skip - I read or was otherwise informed that it's the nature of the movement.

If it was a periodic skip meaning like throughout the sweep i'd understand, but this problem manifests only from like after 12 to 5, and after that its smooth.. So not sure if its nature of the movement.. but you may be right. I'd never buy this mvmt again, not for a long time to come.

The skipping your describing is perfectly normal for this type of movement. The seconds is indirectly driven, the fact that you say that it "skips" from 12-5 proves this, turn the watch upside down and the "skipping" will now occur between 6-12.

The reason?

Gravity. When the hand has to fight gravity, it smooth out, when the hand is going with gravity, it jumps.

There is nothing wrong with the movement, all indirectly driven center seconds movements have this characteristic. Most vintage center seconds movements are of this design.

Thanks The Zigmeister.. that's a most logical explanation.. i could only replicate the jumping at certain angles. So the watch is designed to work on your wrist but not horizontal? Just a little uncomfortable looking at the stuttering of the second hand... i much prefer my 2836-2...

It's simply a quirk of the design.

Many vintage rolex movements are of this same design, 1530 series are all like this, they don't tend to have the jumpiness of the asian ones, but if you are in the time setting position of the crown, you can make the seconds hand "jump" about 6 seconds by moving the time forward and backwards.

Sometimes adding a bit of lube to the tension spring that holds the seconds gear in place helps to dampen the jumpiness, but there is really nothing you can do about it. It is designed to work like any other movement, it's simply a visual thing, not a mechanical problem or concern.

The ETA's not only beat faster 28.8K vs 21.6K, they have direct seconds drive, and no jerkiness...

My A21J Sinn had the same problem, but it was very bad. The seconds hand often appeared to stop for 5 seconds or so, then catch up. What The Zigmeister says makes perfect sense. I did send mine back to the dealer for service and he "serviced" it - whatever that means. It came back much better, but still some of the jumpiness. He probably did exactly what The Zigmeister recommends (i.e. lubing the tension spring). My advice is to go for the 2824 and avoid the problem.

My A21J Sinn had the same problem, but it was very bad. The seconds hand often appeared to stop for 5 seconds or so, then catch up. What The Zigmeister says makes perfect sense. I did send mine back to the dealer for service and he "serviced" it - whatever that means. It came back much better, but still some of the jumpiness. He probably did exactly what The Zigmeister recommends (i.e. lubing the tension spring). My advice is to go for the 2824 and avoid the problem.

Here's my U2 with ETA 2836-2. Love the smooth sweep...

2836.jpg