When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Happy Motoring!

freddy333

It has been quite a journey, but, finally, I have a working Rolex 1036 gmt motor for my Phase II 6542. For those of you who are new or have not been following the story thus far, I have been working on converting a standard 1036 Rolex movement over to a gmt to power the watch (which will be all gen except for the dial face). This is the same movement as was fitted to the original Rolex 6542 GMT-Master in the mid-50s. Because the GMT parts were unique to the 6542 & have not been made in over 20 years, to say they are rare is a vast understatement. In fact, although the movement is a relatively simple 4-hand affair, many Rolex watchmakers today know little or nothing about it & none of my usual contacts were able to provide much in the way of guidance. But, after alot of time, effort & money, not to mention a series of very fortunate happenstances, I was able to gather up all of the necessary parts (many NOS), piece them together & prod them into running.

I am still awaiting the dial (because the dial holds the calendar disc in place, I cannot install it until I install the dial), which is being professionally repainted & should arrive within a week or so. In the meantime, I have the hands, case & bracelet, all gen & awaiting final assembly

002-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

(The 6542 in this pic is my 2846-powered Phase 1 watch)

Until then, here is the 1036-to-1036gmt motor in action (shown here with its gen GMT hand & a spare DJ hand I threw on to demonstrate the 24-hour function for this video)

th_Picture007.jpg

I don't get a lot of time to cruise all the threads on the board these days.

But I'm glad I cruised this one.

Brilliant work Freddy. :clap:

Listen I have a Magna I want remodeled into a Mercedes can I send it your way. :D

Ken

*klunk*

Medic! We have a code blue! He's stopped breathing!

Damn, tachycardia! Charging... clear! *zap*

Doctor, it's not working...

Increase to 360! Clear! **ZZzzZZzaaappp**

tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock...

Doctor, we have an 18k bph sinus rhythm. You saved Nanuq.

Another Update -

I just spoke to the dial refinisher & they expect to have the dial completed by the end of next week (if not before). Along with the dial, I provided them with a number of macro pics (coronet, text, index markers, etc) & they feel that the result should be very close to the original (gen). My previous experience with this refinisher was that they did exactly that

stripedsleeves0761.jpg