When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deconstructing the Josh 1655...

chiman12

I excitedly rushed to the post office right after work today and picked up my spanking new PC (Josh) 1655! This is the new 1:1 version, but with the Asian movement. I wanted to explore the potential of the PC 1655, so I didn't upgrade to the more elaborate 2836 movement. I know there are already reviews in this forum, but I figured that this review would be coming from a little different point of view. Sssssssoooooo....let the good times roll!!!!

I believe that I got the older version, because the markers don't quite touch the rehaut. None the less, the dial printing is crispy, the "II" is just the right size and not overinflated like on some of the NDT, Yuki, or J&W dials.

The magnification of the cyclope is a bit weaker as compared to the gen 116 crystal and the faceted edge is finished really well...a good rep of a crystal! The bezel fonts are great, but they are a little thin, maybe slapping more gloss black paint on it would thicken the fonts up.

As a few members mentioned already, the sore point of the piece is the hands. The 24 hour hand color is perfect for later 1655, but should be a bit more orange and match the lineage of the "T SWISS T" dial.

P1013578.jpg

P1013577.jpg

The crown guards is well finished right out of the box. It may need a little bit of reworking, but otherwise, it could be left alone. As for the twin lock crown, I believe the asians perfected the production of this twinlock crown...most likely from all the various models of Datejusts that are produced!!!:lol:

P1013575.jpg

P1013570.jpg

Now...on to the spotlight of this piece that everyone is talking about...the bracelet!!!

The links are folded over and finished with perfection and speaks highly of the replication process to recreate this classic bracelet.

P1013571.jpg

The stamping on the clasp is deep and nice. None of the sloppiness that the old rep clasps had...

P1013574.jpg

Finally, the coronet on the clasp is stamped very well with slight distortion at the edges...

P1013573.jpg

Engravings between the lugs and in the case back are deep and tidy...

P1013582.jpg

P1013583.jpg

P1013591.jpg

Okay...your saying "so what chiman...this is just another f*cking boring review, what's the point? I know I'm going to buy the 1655 already because it is sssooo gggooooddd!!"

NOW ON TO THE CHIMAN WATCH SURGERY TABLE...the destruction begins...I proceed to tear everything part...

Oh look, no silly plastic retainer ring around the crystal...like on the 1665. The crystal fits tight via the bezel...

P1013586.jpg

Nice shot of the mid case and the asian movement...

P1013595.jpg

P1013593.jpg

Now onto the goods...when I took the watch apart, I actually did some measurements for the RWG community, because everyone was asking if gen parts would fit "this" or "that".

Bezel OD=37.75mm, ID=30.05mm

Diameter of crystal seat on case OD=29.08mm

Crystal OD=30.07mm

Case ID (where the movement sits) = 28.20mm

Width of rehaut opening on case=27.00mm

Width of PC dial=27.95mm

Now... I have a spare NDT 1655 dial handy and it is 27.37mm in diameter. So a gen-like dial will fit, but it would require some accuacy in trying to line up the 0.37mm difference with the rehaut opening.

P1013597.jpg

I also have an InGod dial and this measures in at 27.38mm

The conclusion? The PC 1655 is a great rep and gen-like parts could fit onto PC 1655, and as a result, a great looking franken could be made cheaply.

Now...time to determine the further potential of the 1655 case...:cc_detective:

• Like 1

Nice! Thanks for the measurements, wish more reviews included that level of detail. :tu:

Since you went with the 21J, does that mean the GMT hand is fixed/sync'd on the 24hr time of the real hour? Also, did they just lop off the dial feet that would/might have been used on the ETA version?

Looking good :good: These always look fantastic in photos :victory:

Nice! Thanks for the measurements, wish more reviews included that level of detail. :tu:

Since you went with the 21J, does that mean the GMT hand is fixed/sync'd on the 24hr time of the real hour? Also, did they just lop off the dial feet that would/might have been used on the ETA version?

That's how the movement of the original 1655 functioned... This was only ever intended as an AM/PM indicator watch, not a second timezone :victory:

Cool tear down, Chi!

A couple of things that disappointed me, one, the laser etchings on the case and secondly, I would have liked to see the the flat top three's on the datewheel, can't tell if it's a silver finish color or not. A silver DW like the PT 1665 has would be cool.

I prefer the whiter lume on the dial myself, and with a decent T-116 and some aging, it will be a very nice rep. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Now if only there was a safe way for us amateurs to make it look more "used"! Any ideas?

My personal experience with aging is that nothing yields better results than actually just wearing the watch. Wear it every day for xx number of months and wear it while doing everything. And if I really want a watch to look beat up, I just let my wife wear it for a week :lol:

I myself feel that a watch doesn't have to be beaten up to look it's part, however. I used to really like the look of heavy patina and wabi, but my preference has changed over time to preferring the look of a well kept, well cared for example. They still have their wear and tear marks, but I don't think a case has to be shaken amidst a jar full of screws and coins to look 30 or 40 years old either...

Ronin...the asian movement actually has quick set functions and I'm not sure if the dial is glued on, but it should be no problem to disable the quick set function, on the ETA, it is simply one little gear.

alli...it is white...and I agree with you on the etching, but it is better than the sloppy stamping they had on older reps...

The reason I'm not not really concerned about the innards and the dial of the 1655 is that I want to try to convert it into a good looking 1675. Since, the 1655 is suppose to be 1:1 construction, it might make a good base for a 1675 project...so stay tuned!!!!

Ronin...the asian movement actually has quick set functions and I'm not sure if the dial is glued on, but it should be no problem to disable the quick set function, on the ETA, it is simply one little gear.

alli...it is white...and I agree with you on the etching, but it is better than the sloppy stamping they had on older reps...

The reason I'm not not really concerned about the innards and the dial of the 1655 is that I want to try to convert it into a good looking 1675. Since, the 1655 is suppose to be 1:1 construction, it might make a good base for a 1675 project...so stay tuned!!!!

Hi

and do you think this Asian movement is reliable with a GMT fonction ?

Regards

Very nice review Chi! Sure makes me want one :bangin:

If I understood correctly, cheaps but nice mods would be to throw a clark crystal, drill the lug holes a bit, silver DW maybe, a straight second hand (no more problem with the dot) and work on the CG's a bit. Age the whole thing a bit and you've got yourself a pretty nice watch!!!! :drinks:

Might do that soon!