When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 7032: Work-in-progress

lhooq

1039908232_HMyfa-X3.jpg

I've been waiting for the release of this one since March, when I first heard from gplracer that DW was planning a 7032 case set for May. That was one long summer! But it was worth the wait, because the end result was a relatively affordable Tudor Oysterdate chronograph aka "Home Plate" aka "Monte Carlo". To be precise, it's only affordable relative to offerings from J&W, NDT, and Yuki. It's still a pricey project to undertake, but DW's achievement was to peg the minimum total cost below $900. A complete 7032 from the others could easily run for more than double that. If you're an eBay ace and go easy on the genuine bits, you could conceivably put a watch together for as little as $600-700. Which, again, will sound very expensive to most people. Normal people.

But for us, that counts as a $@%^# bargain!

This isn't a review of the DW 7032, but a few pictures and a rundown of work done, and work that remains to be done. But my early impressions of the rep are very positive.

Movement: Here's where the most work needs to be done. The 7734 I have is in good shape, though every now and then the minute counter resets to 43.5 or 42. That's a clue to the bigger problem: tthe movement is geared for a 30-minute counter. It's not a fatal flaw, and not something that is easily detected, but it's sufficiently annoying for anyone who wants a full replication of the gen's functions. I've ordered parts to attempt a conversion, but I'm not sure if it will work. Please contact me if you have any ideas! Even if the 30- to 45-minute conversion is successful, it is not a cheap way of sourcing a proper movement.

1039908113_ZzjrC-X3.jpg

Hands: DW's three main hands were replaced with items from Classic Watch Parts. In stark contrast to the excellent dial, DW's handset is surprisingly off. Both the hour and minute hands are too long, and have lumed areas that are too small and too far from the center. DW's sweep hand has too short a tail and is noticeably more reddish than the 5-10-minute sector. The CWP hands are not perfect, but they are a big improvement.

Dial: I wanted the home plates to both match the color of the CWP handset, and to match the look of genuine examples. If you look at 7031/7032s being sold online, you'll notice that the tritium often looks as if it was applied by a developmentally challenged monkey on his fifth cup of coffee. So I decided to do it myself. At one point, most of the markers were neatly lumed, as I had figured out a way to corral the drying, gummy, lume within the plates. Unfortunately, I packed the dial a bit too tightly for its trip to the watchsmith, and ended up with a bunch of squashed markers. I was despondent, but when I rechecked my pictures of gen Monte Carlos, the markers looked about right!

1039908156_7Hwoz-X3.jpg

Crown: The rep crown from DW is actually rather nice, with a well defined coronet and solid feel. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it as DW had sent a tube that would only accept a 703. Gen Triplock it is.

1039908193_aiK92-X3.jpg

Bracelet: Thanks to the great experience I had on my last 1016 project, I ordered another rep 7836 from Watch International. Getting the endlinks between the lugs was a brutal experience for my thumbs, but they're in. Inside them are 2mm bars from Yukiwatch, which is another plus for Mary's 7836. Yuki's own 7836 will only take bars as wide as 1.8mm.

What's left to do? Aside from the movement conversion, I'm looking to change the crystal, but I'm loath to pay $350 for a genuine C128. After all, I can already play all of my favorite games on my Commodore 64! (Little computer joke for you little computer people out there.) I would like to experiment on cheaper alternatives, maybe even crystals without magnifiers. There are a few other tweaks I have in mind, but I'll save those for the final post.

Big thanks to ubiquitous, ChiMan12, modelizer, and gplracer for all the Monte Carlo help!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job LH! That's quite a stable of watches you've gathered.

I'll be interested to see how you make out on the 45 minute conversion. Where oh where have all the old Valjoux pros disappeared to? I did see where DW had a replica V72 part for sale- aftermarket. http://cgi.ebay.com/8720-PARTS-VALJOUX-72-/230532429427?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35accdb673

Let me get this straight: Explorers, Daytonas and now a Tudor I want to take off of your hands all within a few months? Amazing run for you.

FWIW, there was a sales thread on TRF a couple of days ago and the chap has a few T-128's for $150 each. Obviously, you can get one cheaper than that from the right connection at AD or watchmaker.

Thanks, guys!

coolfire: I may need a 128, but I also need that three hundred bucks right now! I wonder if Gary Clark will do special requests...

C: I hope the shield stays right where it is. That one drop of glue seems to have done the trick.

alligoat: I wonder if there's any greater significance to DW's aftermarket V72 parts? Or maybe he just bent a bunch of paperclips?

flyingwedge: When I wrote about my Space-Dweller way back in... August? Oh crap, forget about the rest of that sentence. There HAS been a lot of going on in a short amount of time!

I much appreciate the tip on the 128s, as I am sick and tired of willingly letting myself get ripped off! :greedy:

Crown: The rep crown from DW is actually rather nice, with a well defined coronet and solid feel. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it as DW had sent a tube that would only accept a 703. Gen Triplock it is.

DW's crown is correct. The gen uses a winding stem with a 0.9mm diameter tap. Your 7734 movement is probably one of the later ones and these were supplied with a 1.2mm diameter tap.

Damn, M, you're gonna break me! I am very tempted to put one of these in the future project queue!!!

Nice looking example, wonder what one would look like in a Daytona case with re-shaped/squared off CGs? ;)

7734 (14.00") is larger than the 7750 (13.75").

I've always wondered if a Poljot 3133 would be a direct swap for the 7734? I believe that the ruskies bought the valjoux process/design to make the 3133. A little bit simpler and cheaper to find one of those movements and to the eye they roughly "look" the same. Posted a question on the movement forum a while back to see if they were a direct swap and got no responses. Always too lazy to find the specs for both myself.

Regarding the use of a Poljot as a 7734 proxy, the answer is a loud, depressing, "NO!" While they bear a very strong resemblance to each other, no parts can be interchanged between the two and dimensions are sufficiently different to nix any plans for a swap. Please see this comparison for some sobering reading.

I know this was discussed in the Rolex subforum some time ago. You'd think posting under the movement section would make more sense, but it just reinforces my belief that more categories mean fewer readers.

If your watchsmith has tried to fit it and wasn't successful, there may be something wrong with your particular case. My first thought was that you might have a Poljot movement, but you said that the DW hands and dial fit perfectly.

Would you have any pictures of the case and movement?

I buy the case and dial from DW. But i have a problem the case is smaller than 7734 movement. In first time mine watchsmith tell me that try to reduce the movement. After he told me that can´t make.

There is diferent Motecarlo case from DW?

There is diferent 7734 with diferent diameter?

And DW not answer and not try to fix the problem. Mine experience with him is very bad.

Sorry to hear that, but DW could have sent you a 94XX case by mistake, which fits a 7750 and is smaller than a 7734. Try fitting a 7750 into the case.

Sorry to hear that, but DW could have sent you a 94XX case by mistake, which fits a 7750 and is smaller than a 7734. Try fitting a 7750 into the case.

Thanks i very dificult speak with DW. First i buy a Daytona 6263 (case, set bridge, dial and hands), and Tudor Montecarlo case,dial and hands.

In first time receive all except Tudor dial and hands, and Daytona bridge. After he sent me Tudor dial and hands, and daytona Bridge.

Now the Tudor case is small, and don