When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 288: More Photos

lhooq

1162538000_RDRNr-X3.jpg

Hello there. I'm not a frequent poster on the Panerai subforum, but do bear in mind that this is only my second Panerai. Ever. Having tiny 6.5" wrists tends to make one scurry for the safety of tiny old Rolexes.

This is not a review. If it's a full review you want, please read babola's excellent post. It only took me three, slow, read-throughs to convince me that I had to have a Radiomir Chrono.

I ordered this one from Mary at Watch International, and it only took one day for the package to arrive. OK, so I was in Hong Kong on business, but it's still a thrill not having to wait. (Apologies to anyone still trapped in EMS purgatory.) Here it is in my luxurious hotel room, minutes after I'd ripped the package apart with a Pilot pen (I always forget to pack my box cutters when I travel):

1159558060_cUibC-X3.jpg

Big, heavy, wobbly on my small wrist, immaculately finished (though the movement needed a good cleaning), and an absolute stunner. I guess that sentence makes this a review, then! So, on with the rest of the pretty pictures:

1162537333_JxJRJ-X3.jpg

It's right on the limit of watch sizes I can pull off, but inconspicuous it ain't.

1162537383_rz2Lg-X3.jpg

Really nice caseback, really good deployant. Ignore the crooked 'Panerai' engraving; it just means it's hand-made!

1162538682_oEsqA-X3.jpg

Dig those sharp edges, and the swell crown. This is why I could never buy a DSN Radiomir.

1162548784_ByA5d-X3.jpg

The dial is a revelation, and a future benchmark.

1162539199_RfVa9-X3.jpg

Lume may not be torch-like, but it's useful enough.

1162538330_aTeS8-X3.jpg

The strap, incidentally, is calfskin. I've heard great things about the croc option, but that's hand-made, custom strap money we're talking about.

This is the first out-of-the-box rep I've bought in a year (last purchase: IWC GST Titanium chrono). It feels great buying a watch that looks this good right off the bat. It might get a fancy-shmancy strap down the road, so keep posting your 288 photos so I can steal an idea or two.

Thanks for looking.

Awesome pics mate and congrats :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Welcome to the dark side :)

One question - How did you get the lume to be that colour in your second pic? Was it a particualar setting or something else? I like the way it looks but more importantly it would explain a few gen pics I have of any other watch..

Nice share thanks

Pete, after my impromptu meet-up with sssurfer in Rome, I've had Panerai thoughts rattling around the back of my head. And just when I was wrapping up my Tudor Monte Carlo, THIS gorgeous rep shows up!

As for the yellowish lume in that pic, it's due to the yellowish light in my hotel room and my neglecting to adjust the white balance accordingly. I really ought to keep Photoshop on my laptop for such emergencies...

Nico: It's trick photography! :)

I posted a description in my Space-Dweller thread.

As I told redwatch, it's a bit haphazard, and it isn't pretty! :)

Brightight: I saw that 7836 at Yuki's, too, but at that price it had better be MUCH better than the one that comes with Josh's 1655. It does seem to be more accurate, though: Check out the blanked-off endlinks that are fully integrated with the bracelet, unlike the detachable ones on the cheaper model.

Redwatch: I really appreciate the compliments on the photos, as you've taken some very impressive shots. (Ditto to ubi and his granite countertop of horological delights!) But I warn you that the following is not going to be pretty:

955612725_NvTHX-M.jpg

The computer case is a Lian-Li PC-7 in black brushed aluminum. But what's all that crud stacked on top of it?

955612549_RdjsP-L.jpg

...and that's how sausages are made!

But..........I lose it! :bangin:

Great tips Martin!

Thank you :victory: