When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep/Gen T21 Comparison (Vintage Daytona Crystals)

lhooq

1176383164_VF4az-L.jpg

Is it February already? Then it must time for the 2nd Annual Photo-Comparison of Tropic 21 crystals! This, of course, is the sequel to the massively popular 2010 Tropic 21 Photo-Comparison and a semi-sequel to the Thread-of-the-Year Nominee 2010 Tropic 22 Photo-Comparison.

Last year's match-up was a bit of an apples-and-oranges affair, as it featured two aftermarket smooth-domes and a genuine beveled-edge crystal. This time, that genuine Tropic 21 faces off against an edged aftermarket "25-21" that only became widely available a few months ago through seller J&K Watch. It's undoubtedly older than that, so if anyone out there knows who actually manufactures this crystal, do chime in.

Please note that for this entire thread, the J&K "Non-Genuine-Part" is on the left, while Rolex is on the right. Let's start with a close-up of the introductory photo:

1176398076_5NAjy-L.jpg

Already we can see the differences in heights and angles. The net result is that the gen's edge seems "deeper" i.e. it refracts a greater area than the J&K, and in higher contrast. Whether this is due to the angle or to the material is beyond my expertise. All I can say is that the clarity of the Rolex crystal is superior, though this is really only evident along the edge.

1176383074_MVcH6-S.jpg1176383041_V75Jj-S.jpg

1176383130_ws692-L.jpg

1176383165_wwszK-L.jpg

It's been said that the edged Rolex crystals have a unique sparkle. To quote freddy, the later T21 "gives the Daytona a jewel-like quality that cannot be matched by any other crystal..."

I agree. If you haven't seen sunlight shooting through the prism of a gen crystal, I hope this shows a bit of the effect:

1176383166_Tynmb-L.jpg

I reckon a lot of that is due to the angle of the edge. Unfortunately, this is the only edged aftermarket T21 I could get my hands on.

So how big is the difference on the wrist? This might give a hint:

1176383224_pLZ4p-L.jpg

1176383720_zyns5-L.jpg

In those lighting conditions, and from that distance and angle... pretty much identical!

The J&K is a very good crystal, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve their vintage Daytona builds. There are some aspects of the genuine Tropic 21 that it struggles to match, but it is a credible alternative at a tenth, or even a twentieth, of the price.

Final note: I measured inner/outer diameters (at the base) of 29.44/30.60mm for the J&K, and 29.55/30.69mm for the Rolex.

859582488_4zba9-L.jpg

(These threads seem to do better with a beauty shot tacked on at the end.)

Received my J&K crystal today myself and LOVE IT.

After a couple of bumps and bruises with normal wear, I honestly do not think you will be able to tell the difference. I can see no reason to drop $$$ on the Gen at this point. Another big win for the aftermarket. :thumbsupsmileyanim: