When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

[Review] Sinn U1

unregistered

As you all well know, I recently picked up a gen Sinn U1 which I am thoroughly enjoying and can't say enough good things about for the price and the overall style.

bigmarcelo on RG was kind enough to suggest a meetup so I could do a comparison with his U1. Here I was expecting just one U1, but ended up seeing 4! Anyhow, the comparison is between a stock Sinn U1 versus a U1 SDR rep which is essentially the same except with a PVD bezel. There are some distinct tells between the two and very apparent when you have both in hand. That said, it is still a very good replica.

Again apologies for the pictures, these arn't taken in the best environments (Starbucks lounge area) but I think you can see the differences clearly enough, if not please follow my numbering system as I point them out.

The main stars: Gen U1 on the left, Rep U1 SDR on the right

IMG_5094.jpg

1) The text is a mildly darker shade of red and is not as crisp

2) The bezel lume triangle on the rep is just painted white with no lume

3) You can just see it, but the hands are also the wrong shade of red, but this becomes more apparent later on

IMG_5095.jpg

1) As mentioned above (3), the red is wrong and a lot more glossy and darker on the rep than the gen. Think blood red versus chilli red

2) The rep datewheel is not as white as the gen

3) Not so obvious here but later on, the lume on the rep is a mild tint of green, whereas is white on the gen.

bezel.jpg

1) Strip under each of the bezel numbers is longer on the rep than on the gen. Very apparent on the 15

2) As mentioned above (3), the lume is a noticeable shade of green

3) Again mentioned above, the red color

4) Bezel cutouts not as obvious here, but later on. The rep has a thicker gap between the bezel line and the cutout, the gen is nearly touching the line.

IMG_5096.jpg

1) As mentioned above, the bezel cutouts. The gen is larger and deeper than the rep

2) The bezel screw is not flush on the rep, but this is minor

3) To me this is the 2nd biggest tell, the finish on the gen. It is noticeably darker than the rep

4) Minor thing, chamfer on the rep crystal is more obvious than the gen.

Side.jpg

1) As mentioned above, here the difference in color of the finish is blatantly obvious.

What can I say overall? I personally love the gen and for $1200 pre-loved, I think its a very affordable gen. The rep though good, has some very obvious tell. The 2 dealbreakers for me are the color of the case finish and the wrong colored hands.

The U2 rep I think is a closer replication in terms of the red, but the finish is still off as evidenced by this. Gen on the left, rep on the right.

IMG_5102.jpg

The other tells are also there;

1) Wrong dot on the rep for the 6 o'clock which is a moisture indicator on the gen

2) Bezel cutouts

3) Domed sapphire crystal on the gen versus flat sapphire on the rep etc.

Here are just some beauty shots of what was on the table;

Sinn U1 gang

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

Sinn U1 vs U2 gens

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

Everything!

IMG_5104.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...