When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Seamaster 300: All NOS'd up

lhooq

1222132484_8cYP8-X3.jpg

This project began last August, when I fortuitously found, and then won, an online auction for one of the infamous Vietnamese SM300s. The subsequent build is described in this thread.

While I was very happy with the watch, there was always the nagging thought that I was just one part (one very big and expensive part!) away from what would essentially be a genuine watch. For the past two years, I’ve been on the lookout for either a vintage SM300 in good shape, or a Watchco SM300 for a good price. Never heard of Watchco? The company used to be Omega’s authorized parts distributor and service provider in Australia, and has made a tidy profit from building and selling ‘NOS’ SM300s out of readily available, genuine parts. I know there are big arguments over what separates franken from gen, but consider this: If you owned a vintage SM300 in terrible condition and sent it to Bienne for a full-on restoration, the watch you would receive after a couple of months would look identical to a Watchco Seamaster.

1222068048_j6RkN-X3.jpg

To recap: A gen is assembled by Swiss hands, a NOS is put together by Aussies, but you, the enthusiast, can only manage a franken—even if all the parts are exactly the same. Process over content. It’s just like organic food!

It took less than a month after completing the franken that I decided to go for the full Monty, and order the genuine case. That was mid-September. Since then, postal hell.

The original package was lost, and the re-order was massively delayed. Communications with both CousinsUK’s support and various post offices have been… suboptimal. Even now, I’m still waiting for the Royal Mail to process my lost package claim. I get tired just writing about it, so let’s move on to the actual watch.

So aside from the incomparable feeling of owning a gen (fine... a 'NOS'!), why was I so eager to spend big bucks on a replacement case? I’ll boil it down to two things: I wanted a go-anywhere watch with water resistance I could count on, and I really wanted the SM300’s awesome lume pattern:

1222068113_9jaMx-X3.jpg1222068124_AQfAL-X3.jpg

Check on both counts!

As originally written, this was where I was supposed to compare the rep versus the gen case (as is my wont). I’ve decided to move the comparison to its own thread, and keep this one moving along. Onto the pretty pictures:

1222067916_uTRKp-X3.jpg

Once again, the gorgeous Calibre 552—the most beautiful, mass-produced automatic movement of all time (along with the rest of Omega’s mid-500 series). There’s not much to say about the build this time around. Basically, the guts were transplanted from the VN to the genuine Omega case. The stem had to be shortened, as the crown was protruding a bit. The end.

1222071338_mbVGP-X3.jpg

As you may have already noticed, I did get a new 20mm 'Milanese' to go with the case. At the risk of hitting my quota for superlatives, Omega still makes the best mesh bracelet on the market. Very solid, very shiny. The big, screw-down crown comes with the case and is correct for later Seamaster 300s.

1222067887_aUD6p-X3.jpg

Same dial and hands as before. Omega no longer offers the No-Date dial as a part for sale, which is a shame. If you want one, be prepared to search longer and/or or pay more.

1222068404_SVnZE-X3.jpg

Sharp bezel teeth. Lovely.

1222067699_SLNHg-X3.jpg

The view from below. I never trusted the water-resistance of the VN rep, since I couldn't get its caseback to screw in properly when the gasket was in place. No such problems here. Engravings are arguably nicer than those on the original Seamaster 300 caseback.

Lastly, some variations on a versatile watch:

1222065702_wMi5x-X3.jpg

Looking Mil-spec, on olive drab NATO.

1222066269_Byqj6-X3.jpg

Classic, understated 1171 bracelet.

1222068516_ZJhNy-X3.jpg

Into the 1970s, with flashy shark-proof mesh. LHOOQ's choice! :elvis:

Special thanks to ChiMan12 for his help, even if a lot of things didn't go according to plan!

That's a great writeup with stunning pictures!

Congrats on finally getting this one done. I know it was a long haul for you.

I'm envious of your watch and I'm going to somehow make this happen for me too!

I have wanted one of these ever since I first saw one years ago.

Strange thing about the mesh bracelet... I absolutely love it, and it gets a lot of respect among the WIS masses. But to Joe Public, the reaction is more along the lines of, "That's... odd..." or, "Oh man, what's up with that band?"

I'd be more upset if I didn't remember my own feelings about mesh just a few years ago. Back then, I honestly found them to be tacky and far too blingy--and I hate using the word "bling" in any form! I much preferred subdued watches like the Speedmaster, compared to Omega's 70s monsters. And while I still love my Speedy, I'm just as eager to get my hands on a huge Seamaster 1000m, or a Speedsonic Lobster. Tastes do change!