When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My how to guide to modify your MBK 1665 Sea Dweller

cht

009hp.jpg

“The first Sea-Dweller was launched by the end of 1967, bearing the model number 1665. It had a depth rating of 2000 feet, which was clearly engraved in red color as “Sea-Dweller Submariner 2000” on the dial. This model featured the 1575 movement, the new Triplock crown, a thicker crystal, and a larger case. The new Triplock crown featured a triple gasket system which helps in tightly screwing down the case tube against the Oyster case. As a result, another layer of protection is created. This model did not carry the date magnification bubble, present on all Rolex watches. The special version of 1665 that was issued to the COMEX divers, however, continued to display the standard “COMEX” logo.

Later, to strengthen the image of Sea-Dweller, the tag “Submariner 2000” was dropped leaving only “Sea-Dweller” on the dial in white color. This look started by the mid 1970s and continued until 1981.”

The original mbk 1665 is a great looking watch, there is no question. Many will agree the quality and feel of the watch are beyond the josh/pt vintage line. As an owner of the PT 1680, I can easily agree.

Despite being a great replication, some of us turn our sickness for perfection and make it an interactive enjoyable hobby.

These are the following modifications I performed on my 1665.

1. Drill lugs holes and bracelet

2. File crown guards

3. Replace crown and tube

4. Replace bezel insert

5. Smoothen case

6. Replace crystal

7. Replace dial

8. Relume dial and hands

out of the box mbk great white seadweller

83303480.jpg

Most of us start out with some inspiration. I found a great example of a well taken care of 1665 with some service replacement parts on it.

I find that this part is crucial to the project, it keeps you on track and gives you focus and direction.

gen

16656m17.jpg

I immediately was hooked on the superdome, it just gave the watch such a vintage dive watch feel.

16656m121.jpg

gen

16656m122.jpg

A great example of an original rail gen dialed 1665 great white.

genraile.jpg

A large majority of this hobby is hunting for the parts.

Well, it started out looking like this.

1rss.jpg

The MBK is a great base, but it does need some massaging to get it celebrity status.

First is the lug holes. I used 3 precision bits by IRWIN, I found them at a local ACE hardware store. Working from smaller to larger to widen the hole. I started out with the #57 and finished up with the #55.

You will also need to drill the bracelet to accept the 2mm gen spring bars. I used a 5/64th’s cobalt bit.

dscn2337c.jpg

You can do this without a drill press, but you will probably break bits. I used my buddies and made a jig that held the case firmly so it could move a smidgen if needed. This keeps you from being a little off in the setup and ending up with a crooked hole. Since the hole is already there, it acts as a pilot with the drill bit passing through the case.

Some tips: Drill slowly and use some oil. I backed off regularly to let the bit cool

dscn2347m.jpg

I used leather to hold the bracelet in place while I drilled.

dscn2342g.jpg

Now that the lugs are drilled, we need some nice springbars to go with it. My research from other build led me to OFREI’s springbars. (google it  ) These have a nice bevel at the tips, awesome.

dsc0537av.jpg

The tube is weaksauce on the MBK. It’s too small to fit a gen crown and the construction design is wrong. You can purchase24- 703 Rolex aftermarket replacements which are plentiful. Needless to say, the MBK crown will have to go. You can find used Rolex 7mm triple lock crowns pretty easily.

703 on the right. (gasket is not installed btw. )

dsc0019dw.jpg

dsc0014fl.jpg

Now we need a better insert, or at least a better pearl. I realized that like the dial, the insert is a large part of the look of the watch. I finally found an NOS on ebay. Many like the faded look (you can use bleach for a few minutes on a new bezel) or will look for thick font bezels since they are what the original watches were equipped with. 5513 bezels will also fit. You cannot use modern sub 16610 inserts or newer sea dweller inserts as they are larger in diameter.

Since I am going for a more restored/serviced look, I opted for the gen replacement part.

I use a razor and pry a little from each corner of the watch to remove it. I recommend using some painters tape to protect the lugs from scratches.

dsc0022fcv.jpg

Here is the Rolex service replacement for the 1665/5513. The service replacement insert had a thinner more modern font, but still has the nice vintage pearl. I used a few drops of Guerilla glue and a clamp to hold it in place overnight.

Gen on the right.

dsc0024ql.jpg

The case will need some massaging. I use a dremel and a nail file for the bulk of smoothing of pretty much all the edges. I always finish off with a felt polisher on the dremel to give it a smooth soft feel.

Sharp and 90 degree corners are your enemy!

dscn2357.jpg

Removing the caseback paint took some patience, with nail polish remover and other demel goodies. I tried to smoothen the edges of the engravings with sand paper and other dremel goodies to remove the laser etched look from MBK.

dscn2351a.jpg

I was not afraid to be liberal with a polishing compound on the case back, since, it would have been rubbing on the back side of a wrist for decades.

dscn2354c.jpg

Next is a new crystal,well acrylic.

I found, DO NOT go cheap on this! Cheap plastic is hard and brittle which can lead to fitment issues. Nice plastic is soft and flexible.

I opted for a Clark 25-39 Tropic superdome because it just gives the watch so much personality and makes it so much more interesting.

Superdome on the left.

dscn2166e.jpg

The mbk dial is pretty dang good, but, having a unique dial just sets off the whole watch in my opinion, since it is the focus of the watch, I was not opposed to investing some $$$ into this piece. There are many different replacement dials, yuki watch, NDTrading ,etc. It really comes down to preference since none are gen. Keeping the MBK and reluming would be a good option.

The MBK dial and hand lume color does not match. The hands are a more bright white like on a modern Rolex with the dial being more yellow. The lume was also missing any kind of texture and it had an almost glossy finish to it.

The relume of the dial and hands not only gives them a nice matching color, but it adds texture that was missing.

There are plenty of modders on the forums that can perform this. I can speack of Zigmiester and Pbdad. I will note that The Zigmeister was half the price of Pbdad.

The new Rail dial and hands relumed

2tritiumlume.jpg

I was not looking for a really beaten trashed “vintage” look, this pic highlights the subtle aging details and the great dial.

006cj.jpg

Final assembly gave this result.

01bgj.jpg

Edited by cht

Side profile shows the nice lug hole positioning, correct crown position, and the tame height of the superdome.

004fmx.jpg

I know purists won’t agree with my choice of the superdome, but I absolutely love it.

56928127.jpg

01am.jpg

003fp.jpg

The obligatory wrist shot which I kindly oblige.

002lix.jpg

I’d like to thank so much all the inspiration I get from everyone else, this watch would not have been possible without you guys!

Beautiful build, and a very nice pictorial. I believe you hit the nail on the head.You have to start with a quality watch (Case) to build a great modded watch. I think that a lot of folks get frustrated because they start with an "El cheapo" and after spending a lot of time and money, they results are still not what they were looking for.

Great work, and great pictures.

That gen crown switch is essential, along with the lugs. Isn't it amazing how those two things alone change that watch?

Like you, I favor that Clark Superdome. To me, it makes the watch.

I also like the superlume - people can say what they want about vintage lume being long dead, but if mine were gens, they'd have have the kind of lume job Ziggy does. The ones he has done for me are just great, and they stay great all night long.

I know you will enjoy your watch.

Bill

Great work, great watch. Well done. Still one glaring omission though. Datewheel?

Thanks for noticing, there is still much to discuss which I hope to do in the near future, like the high beat vs low beat movement, drilling for the crown tube, crown guards sanding, etc.

I need to find some of the links with the good discussions...

;)

As for the datewheel, I was keeping in line with the RSC theme.

I had decided I wanted this piece to look nice and new"ish," that is, service replaced and taken care of.

The date wheels were not uncommonly switched out during service and were replaced with the white datewheel.

Many vintage projects I see are beaten, faded, and ragged, so it wouldn't make sense to have a nice service replaced looking datewheel on that watch, but I feel it fits this particular piece well.

Also, to my knowledge, there is no grey datewheel for the ETA style movements that has the positioning of the dates centered as well as the original MBK.

Most grey wheels, including the pt/josh have the cursed left justification, which, personally, I cannot tolerate.

I'd much rather have the RSC look with a white wheel and correctly placed dates than the grey wheel with goofy positioning.

Matter of preference.

:)