When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Moon Watch

baltic

I thought I'd take a few photos of my gen and rep (before it moved on) Moon Watch, for info and to show how damn close the rep is!

Ok here goes first a dial up side by side (gen on left):

131262-19190.jpg

The dials are close although the printing on the gen is much sharper. The rep's subdials are recessed but less than the gen's. The gen's dial also slopes down from the minute tick marks to the end of the dial, only noticeable if you have the watch at the end of your nose!

Next the gen:

131262-19191.jpg

the rep:

131262-19192.jpg

From dial up, apart from the obvious sub-dial spacing and shorter markers at 3, 6, 9 on the rep, the hashes on the tachy scale on the gen don't extend across the black bezel insert, Swiss Made is in a wider font and the rep has a wider silver 'ring' around the dial; when you examine the gen it has a collar the same colour as the dial that angles up from the dial to meet the inside edge of the case. The cases are near 1:1 in size.

Crown to crown (gen on top):

131262-19193.jpg

You can see that the reps lugs are slightly thicker with a pronounced curve towards the end. The crown is a good match on the rep but has more 'flutes' (don't know the right term!). The bracelet links are fatter on the rep. The cases for both seem to be the same depth, but I didn't measure them.

Side by side back up (gen on left):

131262-19194.jpg

Obviously the rep has a display back. The polished underside of the gen's lugs are finished to a higher standard (which you'd expect as it's 10x the price) but only noticeable side by side. The reps serial number is completely bogus and doesn't tally with OMEGA'S sequenceing.

Bracelet catch (gen below):

131262-19195.jpg

Practically identical in size, the gen has 'Professional' engraved on it and it's engraving is clearer than the reps, again only noticeable side by side.

Gen bracelet curve:

131262-19196.jpg

Rep bracelet curve:

131262-19197.jpg

The gen's bracelet is flat without the rep's noticeable curve. The rep's bracelet is extremely high quality and has a more satin shiny finish than the gen.

Together at home:

131262-19198.jpg

They weigh within 5g of each other (rep being the heavier!!). To my eyes the biggest tell apart from subdials is the 'silver ring' around the dial of the rep as it doesn't have the angled 'collar'.

I hope you find this interesting, if you have the rep you have a damn fine watch in itself, but the gen 'spoke' to me more.

Cheers,

Baltic

It's a shame you didn't have a chance to weigh the heads and bracelets separately. Were there the same number of links in each bracelet when you weighed it?

There were the same number of links in each bracelet to start with, however when I weighed them there was one more link in the gen's.

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much. The differences are only really noticeable if you have lived with the watches and are a bit obsessive about Speedmasters (guilty as charged...!).

Mines the 1861 movement, it changed from 861 to 1861 in 1997.

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback...not sure of the differences between the 861 and 1861, but the 861 is certainly a nice movement as I am sure the 1861 is also...too pretty to hide behind a solid caseback...

Wear it well.

RG

Thanks Baltic, a classic post! This goes linked straight to the Omega Guide now.

PS: I always said the rep is great. You can't do anything to the subdial spacing issue so members' complaining about it is kinda useless. You either live with those or buy the gen (same thing with other Speedmasters... and the new PO Chrono).

....too pretty to hide behind a solid caseback...

RG

The Zigmeister, your soooo right.....the 861 / 1861 movements are sweet. I have both rep and gen Speedmasters as well....and the display back of the rep fits the gen perfectly. Well, at least mine does. My watchmaker tested the water resistance and it passed without any problems. Of course, the watch is only rated for a depth of 50 feet or so, so I'm not going swimming with it on.

B.

Excellent & very helpful comparison, baltic. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Speedy is certainly one of those rare watches with a timeless design, rich history and represents a darn good value for the $. It has always been in demand for a darn good reason. Very wise choice going for the gen.

Congrats on your purchase. It's a gorgeous watch that you will enjoy for a long time.

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback...not sure of the differences between the 861 and 1861, but the 861 is certainly a nice movement as I am sure the 1861 is also...too pretty to hide behind a solid caseback...

Wear it well.

RG

I think the only difference between them is that the 1861 has a rhodium plated bridge which gives a silver look while the 861's is gold plated, otherwise they are exactly the same. I'm now actually after a display back for it.

@By-Tor I'm honoured to be linked to the Omega guides!

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...