When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yet another 026K

lhooq

i-dt77QCL-X3.jpgi-NzRQcXM-X3.jpgi-MtdbkBn-X3.jpg

About two years ago, I bought an 082 from Davidsen. That blue Luminor was one of my first "serious" reps, and a watch I still enjoy today. The 082 composed the entirety of my Panerai collection until earlier this year, when I jumped on the 288K bandwagon. So now I had a Radiomir and a Luminor, and I thought I was covered for another two years.

I make my home in RWG-Rolex, but ever since that 288 purchase (and possibly due to my meet-up with sssurfer last year), I've been clicking on Panerai subforums a lot more often. The 026K caught my eye not just because it was a great rep of a sharp-looking watch, but because it offered three things I didn't have in my tiny PAM collection: DLC, a sandwich dial, and a left-hand crown.

So that covered my motive; what about opportunity? I have a long-term Datejust franken in the works, and I needed to get some Rolex-font datewheels for ETA movements. Josh sells these, but doesn't ship them without an accompanying watch purchase. Now, I could have bought an Asian 5512 or a cheap 42mm PO, or any number of watches in the hundred buck range. But, but... There were a bunch of reviews that contributed, but I think it was PrDubis' post that sent me over the edge. Say this in Threepio's voice: "This is all your fault!"

Believe it or not, this was my first time ordering a watch from Josh. (I ordered an Omega deployant from PC a long time ago, but that was it.) The whole experience was painless, with the 026K arriving quickly, in good shape, and keeping good time. Josh even tossed the datewheels into the package for free, which was much appreciated. I originally asked for the rubber strap, but was told that leather was all they had. The improving quality of rep straps continues to impress me; we've come a very long way from the straight-to-the-garbage days of, oh, about a year ago. I do wish the keeper hoops looked better, though.

The 026 doesn't floor me as the 288 does, but the build quality and detailing are excellent. The sheer blackness sucks more light out of the surroundings than I'd like, so I'm looking into my strap options.

Onto the pictures:

i-Dp46wKC-X3.jpg

i-h4DqVZ7-X3.jpg

i-g55QNbX-X3.jpg

i-VWCRq5f-X3.jpg

i-Mf5TBB5-X3.jpg

i-Gt3pb4G-X3.jpg

So far, so good!

• 4 months later...

I recently bought an OEM Assolutamente strap and as a result, this watch has seen more wrist time in the past week than it did in my first four months of ownership. I absolutely (ugh) love this strap, and that's not just the money talking. It cost me more than any strap I've ever owned, but I fell in love with these strips of leather the first time I saw a press shot of a PAM 386. (I missed seeing it on last year's Radiomir 339.) It looks even better in the flesh (dead calf flesh) than it does in the pictures, and it smells mighty tasty, too!

Mapman57 suggested I make a shoot out of it, and he's absolutely (no, stop) ASSOLUTAMENTE right! Gentlemen, behold:

i-ckffvw2-X3.jpg

i-tj2HNgs-X3.jpg

i-FfdLMMt-X3.jpg

i-b778dtJ-X3.jpg

i-wRPwBGM-X3.jpg

i-bPLkDhz-X3.jpg

i-vXjN7MD-X3.jpg

:elvis:

I recently bought an OEM Assolutamente strap and as a result, this watch has seen more wrist time in the past week than it did in my first four months of ownership. I absolutely (ugh) love this strap, and that's not just the money talking. It cost me more than any strap I've ever owned, but I fell in love with these strips of leather the first time I saw a press shot of a PAM 386. (I missed seeing it on last year's Radiomir 339.) It looks even better in the flesh (dead calf flesh) than it does in the pictures, and it smells mighty tasty, too!

Mapman57 suggested I make a shoot out of it, and he's absolutely (no, stop) ASSOLUTAMENTE right! Gentlemen, behold:

i-wRPwBGM-X3.jpg

:elvis:

Looks like it was worth every penny, M :drinks:

Thanks, guys! I figured it was best to take some photos while it was still new. The surface of the leather seems designed for dramatic aging, so this strap could look very different in a few months!

divisible: Not a GI Joe fan, eh? The man in the metal mask is Destro, Cobra Commander's right-hand man, and pictogram of the right-hand PAM.

• 7 months later...
LHOOQ, where did you pick this strap up? And how much was it? Cheers

I bought the strap from a member at Repgeek last year. I overpaid, so I won't say how much!

I will tell you that you can find a lot of Assolutamentes at the Paneristi Accessories Corner, selling for just over $200 each. Alternatively, the rep Assol was released some months ago. It's quite nice, and can be purchased for about $50 from many sellers.

I bought the strap from a member at Repgeek last year. I overpaid, so I won't say how much!

I will tell you that you can find a lot of Assolutamentes at the Paneristi Accessories Corner, selling for just over $200 each. Alternatively, the rep Assol was released some months ago. It's quite nice, and can be purchased for about $50 from many sellers.

Thanks for that, the rep strap, is it much inferior to the gen? Been looking at the assolumante strap Joshua has on his site...

Thanks for that, the rep strap, is it much inferior to the gen? Been looking at the assolumante strap Joshua has on his site...

There have been a couple of good comparisons made between the rep and gen Assolutamentes. Here's one.

Well worth a read, whether you're buying a rep or a gen.