When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen polar dial Explorer build

sneed12

I came across a Noob Explorer II case a while ago, and I'd been saving it in the parts box for a gen dial build. But then life happened (those who saw my big sell-off last week know what I mean) and I couldn't afford to spring for a gen dial.

I sold it, and the member who bought it asked if I would be willing to assemble his gen dial franken for him. Here's some pics.

100_3614.JPG

On the left, the noob case. Gen dial is in the plastic thing. The uncased movement and hands are from my personal Explorer II rep, I wanted to closely compare my dial with the gen dial (mine is pretty good, but not perfect, and compared to the gen of course the lume sucks!). You can also see the DWO which is going to have to be installed since the donor rep (on the right) has the date window in the ETA position.

100_3618.JPG

Donor rep. Has Vaclumed hands, but other than that is pretty mediocre. The dial opening is too big to take the gen dial, it falls right through (I checked).

100_3623.JPG

Movement uncased. You can see the date window position clearly. This was a problem, because on GMT watches there is an additional gear to allow independent adjustment of the GMT hand. You'll see in the next few pics.

100_3625.JPG

Back of gen dial

100_3626.JPG

and after the feet were removed

100_3635.JPG

Pic of movement after installation of datewheel overlay. You can see that the datewheel overlay, because it comes closer to the inside of the movement, actually overlaps the gear that adjusts the GMT hand. I had to remove the gear, and sand it down carefully--not enough and it'll rub on the underside of the datewheel / make date changes hang, too much and it will make the GMT hand adjustment not work. I ruined it the first time by sanding too much :) good thing I had a spare. You can also see that the center wheel that holds the GMT hand has some springs and whatnot on the underside (the slots on it are the tells); that's what makes it a jumping hour GMT.

100_3637.JPG

Gen dial about to go on

100_3638.JPG

As you can see, I glued the dial spacer ring to the back of the dial after removing the feet. This is pretty much the only way I've found to do this--I've tried very thin double sided tape, which can work ok sometimes, but glue is better. This ensures that the dial doesn't slide around, which would screw up the date window position.

100_3639.JPG

dial installed

100_3627.JPG

hands installed. I flip through a lot of dates setting the hands, trying to get the date change right at midnight. It's much more of a PITA on these jumping hour GMT hands. If you have the regular GMT mod, you just put the GMT hand anywhere and adjust it after you set the hour and minute hands, but on the jumping GMT you have to set the GMT hand as well and it tends to jerk a bit at midnight. Really annoying to get right, but not impossible.

100_3629.JPG

Cased up

100_3630.JPG

Crystal on

SAM_0094.JPG

Close up under the loupe

100_3634.JPG

Finished product. When I pressed the bezel it made the crystal turn a tiny bit and the cyclops wasn't quite right, so I pulled it and re-pressed it after this pic. Also, you can see a speck of dust on the dial just below the center hole, I blew that off at the same time.

Very happy with how this came out. I wish I could have afforded to buy the gen dial off the member whose watch this is :) but failing that, this is a pretty close second.

The only thing I wish is that the case was in a bit better shape--I got it used, and it was... not beat up exactly but pretty well used. I rebrushed the bracelet and polished the sides of the case no problem, but the bezel is a bear to refinish and I know it doesn't look good as new. If anyone out there has a Noob Explorer II bezel that's in good shape that they want to contribute to this project let me know. Or if there's a decent aftermarket one. Or if someone has a suggestion on how to do a better job rebrushing the bezel.

Great build! If you ever want to Do another one, I've got a ChS noob explorer II with a gen crown and tube installed built the mighty zig with a gen dial waiting to be dropped in.

I need a better gmt hand though.

You should tease everyone with a lume shot. ;)

Edited by its_urabus