When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to mod your AP pusher

sander

One of the problems (small one thought!) with the current APROO is the shape of the chrono pushers.

The rep one is completely flat on top of it while the gen is a little rounded.

Lando started a topic about it and it started me thinking. See here: http://www.rwgforum....t-round-enough/

Although some of the reactions were that it’s just a small flaw, It’s actually one of the parts I look at to judge if the watch is gen or not.

This morning I gave it a try and this is the result. (gen on the right)

post-9210-0-11966700-1315044153.jpg

I’m pretty happy with the result.

How to:

Put the pusher with the steel tube in a Dremel.

Spinn it at a slow speed and shape it with a 1000 grid sandpaper.

It takes about 1 minute and the result is great!

Be careful not to take off too much!

Good luck!

Sander

Awesome!! they look great! this is exactly what i was trying to propose. i am defiantly going to give it a go no. did you have to take the watch apart to get the pushers out or did you just prize the rubber bit off?

the shape looks perfect, i actually think you would be able to polish the rubber with some t-cut on a cloth too to make it look a bit shinnier?! using the same technique with the Dremel

maybe

everyone seemed to think i was mad when i made a topic about this but i think its really easy to spot.

the ones you have modded look awesome Gen.

FTW

Thanks for the complements guys!

There is no way you can do this with the pushers installed in the watch.

If you just turn it at a slow speed and use a very fine grid sandpaper ( I used 1000) , there is not much that can go wrong.

Just look at about every 3 seconds untill you have te required shape.

It really makes a difference!

The gen is a little darker but that's because it's an older one.

If you have a new gen pusher, you can't really tell the difference.

@watchmeister

I think he took the whole pusher and stem out and put the metal stem in the Dremel and then sanded the rubber down.

I was also wondering if you could prize the rubber bit off the metal peg. I have seen a picture where the rubber bit has fell off (see pic below)

So if it can come off then be glued back on I think that would be easier then taking the movement out etc to get to the pushers.

You can sand rubber without it melting but you need to keep it cool, low speed and keep using fresh “sand paper” as the paper will clog quickly and then you will have rubber on rubber!

post-38939-0-55212600-1315227562.jpg

Guy's.... this is one of the easiest mods I've seen here.....

Just put the steel rod of the pusher in the Dremel and shape the rubber with fine sandpaper.

I would absolutely not try to remove the rubber from the steel rod.

First of all, I think it's not possible to do without damaging the rubber and/or the rod.

Secondly, how do you want to take it off while it's still in the case?

And finally, I really would not know how to shape it evenly if it's not spinning.

Removing the movement and the pushers is pretty simple. To shape the pusher while it's in the Dremel, can't go wrong as long as you do it at a slow speed and look like

every 3 seconds what the progress is.

The rubber comes off like a very fine powder so no big chunks or whatever.

This is not rocket science! :bangin:

Hi Sander

Just did mine with them still in the watch, masked off the watch leaving just the pusher exposed and used a very fine nail file emory board thingy to gradually re-shape the pusher. took about 5 mins and looks awesome!

ill put some more pics up later but for now here is one off my Blackberry:

oh and its my girlfriends nail file before anyone asks!!

also in the photos only the reset pusher is done so you can see the differance.

post-38939-0-30742400-1315330710.jpgpost-38939-0-47797800-1315330722.jpgpost-38939-0-95105000-1315330736.jpgpost-38939-0-36708800-1315330751.jpg

Hi Sander

Just did mine with them still in the watch, masked off the watch leaving just the pusher exposed and used a very fine nail file emory board thingy to gradually re-shape the pusher. took about 5 mins and looks awesome!

ill put some more pics up later but for now here is one off my Blackberry:

oh and its my girlfriends nail file before anyone asks!!

also in the photos only the reset pusher is done so you can see the differance.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

@MM..MM

no its pretty easy to get them the same, you just need to keep checking as you go, the rubber is pretty soft and forgiving too.

just make sure you use a nice fine smooth nail file and not one of those orange sand paper sh*t ones!!

ill put some pics of mine showing both pushers later.

i think the biggest tip i could give you is the same as what sander said.... dont over do it! do a little bit and check it, do a little bit and check etc etc

it has totally transformed my watch. very pleased with the results. and as i have never taken a watch apart i am glad it is possible to do with them still safe and sound in the watch!!

oh also, dont forget to mask off the rest of the watch with masking tape as no matter how careful you are you will scratch your watch!!!

Sweeeet