When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dear Rwg, Am I Crazy ? (Some Daytona's On Their Way...)

Valty

Hello RWG :)

This is a long time I have not posted a topic here...

So, after 3 months of researches, I decided to "create" not one, not two, but three of these fantastic Daytona's :bangin:

Here are some photos of my current parts... :

DSC_1619.JPG

DSC_1620.JPG

DSC_1621.JPG

DSC_1622.JPG

DSC_1623.JPG

DSC_1625.JPG

DSC_1626.JPG

DSC_1607.jpg

DSC_1611.jpg

So... you can see these parts currently in :

- x1 Valjoux 72 freshly oiled / cleaned / serviced

- x1 Valjoux 726 freshly oiled / cleaned / serviced

- x1 Valjoux 726 unserviced (the Wakmann one) - making some spring noise at each beat (ding, ding, ding...), and currently uncleaned

- x1 6265 DW case with Gen T21 / 703 crown / tube

- x2 6239 Phong case with Gen T21 / ??? crown / tube

- x1 Gen 6265 NOS metal bezel - like new !

- x1 Gen 6263 bakelite bezel - used a lot

- x1 DW 6265 metal bezel

- x1 Gen 6263/5 NOS black dial with Gen NOS handset

- x1 DW 6263/5 white dial with DW handset

- x2 78350 bracelets in good shape

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my construction plan for the 3 Daytona's - any suggestions are welcome :-)

-- Daytona 6263 - Probably a "really used" one --

- Valjoux 726, better choice than a Valjoux 72, cause it's closer from a Rolex 727 movement.

- Gen black bezel - used, but fine

- Rep DW white dial / hands - any suggestion on "how to vintagize a dial" are welcome !

- I will probably use my current DW 6265 case, with erased S/N & engravements (they are awful anyways... :protest: ), and will think about "how to vintagize a case" a lot to match the bezel. I think the result will be good :)

-- Daytona 6265 - My future grail --

- Valjoux 726, cause bla bla bla

- Gen metal bezel

- Gen black dial / hands

- Phong 6265 case (to buy), and gen T21 / 703 (or 702 ?) crown / tube

What else to say ? Will maybe the best rep world can do to create a vintage Dayona. Gen case or Rolex 727 are not findable. Forever :)

-- Daytona 6239 - The "unexpected" project --

- Valjoux 72, the closer of the Rolex 72B / 722

- Rep bezel (Phong or DW - will see)

- Rep DW white non-oyster dial, or 3 colors PN dial from InGod. I don't really know right now. Will probably buy the both and decide when the parts will be here.

- Phong 6239 case, gen T21 / crown / tube. About the crown (you can see on the pictures), anyone have the ref. no of this one ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now, the hard part is finish. All I have to do is to source :

- 1x Phong 6265 case set -- about this case set, Phong claims it's with gen T21 / 703 crown / tube, but... I don't really know if it's true...

What is the best choice to me for building a "perfect" Daytona ? If you guys have answers or opinions, I'm really open to it. I really want to make this future 6265 perfect, so please en-light me :)

About the choice of the crown, witch one is the better choice for a 6263/5 ? 702 or 703 ? I have heard the 702 crown was "the" correct one, but not sure about it...

About the choice of the S/N of the case, if anyone have a source with the "corrects" S/N / periods, I'm a taker... I have a big lack of knowledge with this.

- 1x dial / handset for the 6239

- 1x 78350 bracelet

- 3x Gen springbars - but do not know where to source it - and it's if will fit the cases

- Maybe Gen 571 endlinks for the 6265... Why not ? Supposed to be perfect, no ? :fool:

That's all... Pretty quick in 3 months I think B)

Oh, important note, if one of you guys have a Gen Daytona dial for the 6263 or the 6239 (with Gen hands, why not), I will probably be able to make a trade with the (future) 6263 or 6239, depending of the dial you have :) PM me if this is interesting you...!

As always, all the comments are welcome :)

R.

PS: I decline all the responsibility if your modem is burning after this page loading :)

• Like 1

Hello all :)

First, thank you very much for all your comments :) They are all extremely appreciated ;)

I think I will start the build very soon, in less than 1 month... I have (finally !!!!) found someone in France to make the watches, and make this dream happens !

If you have any answers at the questions I have (in the end of the first post), it will be very appreciated too, because I'm a little in the dark about some points :help:

And I obviously don't want to make any mistake with my future buys -_- Especially for the 6265 !

Did you have luck fitting that 6263 bezel? I just bought a used MKIV and it doesn't sit very tight on my Phong case, I am really afraid it will fall off if I accidentally bump into something...

To be honest, I don't tried at all on the cases I have, because I have not any tools and knowledge to remove / replace the bezel.

I think you can ask torresp if he tried when it was the owner of this bezel ;)

I have re-made a list of the questions I have to be more clear ;) :

- Do anyone know what is the crown ref. present on the 6239 case I currently have ? What references "options" I have for this crown, to stay historically correct ?

- Do anyone know witch crown is the "best" for a 6265 ? 702 or 703 ? What do you know about the tube ? The same for the 2 crowns ?

- Do anyone know what is the "best" range of S/N if I want to make a clear / like new 6265 ? I belive something in the 7.2 million is nice, but I'm not really sure about that.

- And finally, about the Phong's cases kit, do anyone know more about his "new" case kits ?

He told me : $1650 with gen parts (crystal / crown / tube), $1450 without

I don't really know what is my best choice at this point ;) Someone telling me he do not sell gen parts and it's a waste of money, someone tells me he sells gen parts and there is no problem... I don't really know who to trust :(

Thanks in avance if you have some answers for me !

R.

I have re-made a list of the questions I have to be more clear ;) :

- Do anyone know witch crown is the "best" for a 6265 ? 702 or 703 ? What do you know about the tube ? The same for the 2 crowns ?

I think the 24-702 is what you need for the 6265. You will also need the correct tube for that crown. (7020)

I think the 24-702 is what you need for the 6265. You will also need the correct tube for that crown. (7020)

Thank your for your answer :) I bet it's almost impossible to find these parts at a decent price ?

About the price, have you an idea of a fair price for the crown & the tube ?

The is a crown on the bay right now for a "but it now" of 289 with an offer option.

One sold on VRF earlier this year for 125

I see that :-) Thank you again !

I will see what to do, because it strangely seems harder to find a 24-7020 tube... And I don't really know if the gen crown will fit a rep tube...