When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer I dial for Gen case Need help

seagoing3

Hello, I have a Gen 16200 DJ case and i want to put a Explorer I dial in it to complete the Project i have had laying around for ever. Can someone tell me if a Rep dial will fit int the gen case and who would be a good source for one. Thanks in advance, I'm knew here and to the building of a franken watch so please be patience. We all have to start somewhere... thanks

Welcome. I think the quality dials from the usual sources (Yuki, ingod, NDT, etc.) should fit fine. Since LHOOQ has ran out of hand-me-down dials he has rejected I think he had determined that the ingod dial was the best at the time he built his "herd".

I checked Ingod44 and he has no dials for sale at this time. He comes and goes w/ dials for sale.

Yuki has a decent gilt dial that would fit and the price is fair

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6380817/7445432.htm

He also has a later dial with white lettering, and it doesn't look too bad, but Yuki's quality varies, so you might not get what is pictured.

NDT is more expensive, but more consistent in quality typically.

You're looking at cutting/removing the dial feet. A 2824-2 would fit in this case and with a spacer ring and a set of hands (eta), you'd be close. Crown would be either a 6mm or a 5.3mm.

LHOOQ knows more about the 16200 build, I've only done the 1601 Explorer. But he's crossing the Canadian Rockies so he may be out for a while, or maybe he'll check in, who knows...

thanks everyone for the reply's and guidance I think a good quality rep dial with ETA dial feet would be just the ticket don't know if that type of thing is out there. I have the Gen crown thanks to Ubi and i got a Stilty spacer ring for my 2824 so now just to find the right dial and get it put together I've been gathering parts of this for 3 years on and off, it seem to lack the follow thru this hobby needs. Guess that explains why its 3rd tier on my hobby list after racing bikes and playing guitar. thanks again all

Hi guys I'm getting closer on this one I was able to get a rep dial and the hour and min hands but i am in need of a seconds hand for the project if any of you have a seconds hand that would work on a modern explorer I please let me know. I also need to remove the cyclops from my gen crystal if you have any tips I'm all ears. I'm off to search the forum know for that its got to be on here somewhere.

thanks for the help

Removal of the cyclopes is pretty simple. If you have a butane torch cigarette lighter use that on the cyclopes for a few seconds (wait until very tiny bubbles form under the cyclopes), then slide an xacto/utility knife to pop it off.

If you don't have a torch lighter you can also use a soldering iron, just place it directly on the cyclopes, the second step still applies.

I even did it once with the burner on my stove, but be careful that this takes a second or two, otherwise you can risk discoloring the metal. I do not recommend this unless you are desperate.

Let it cool, clean with windex and you're done!

Edited by japanic

I got the cyclops off thanks for the pointers now all i need is a seconds hand and she can get put together,

Anyone know where i can get just a seconds hand? I have the other two they came with the dial from a very nice forum member so saw my project thread and helped me out. Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

I made progress on the Explorer build today i got the hands set and was casing the whole thing up when i was having a bit of trouble with the Stem and crown lining up properly. Nothing that cant be fixed i thing i just need to file a bit of brass off the out side of the brass spacer ring in order to get it to fit a little less tight. Its like a press fit right now and i think i need to be able to move it a bit to allow the stem to line up properly. Well long story short i broke the stem of my ETA 2824-2 and now need a new one. anyone know where i can order one i searched ebay but couldn't find any in the states.

some pics cant believe i didn't take any with the hands on.

6caced8b.jpg

55dca353.jpg

248eb179.jpg

a585a8f7.jpg

• 1 month later...