When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Updated - King Power Diver 4000M 48MM - a big disappointment!

hiker01

I bought this model from one of our esteemed member.....he was the first owner:

h4000m.jpg

Don't be fooled by how great it looks.........that's after I stripped it apart and cleaned it up!

I was so excited when I got it, I even skip dinner and went straight to opening the package (amazing speed as usual from

my friend across the pond).....unpack it, give it a quick look/see, adjusted the time and date, put it on....then had my dinner!

After dinner, I washed the dishes (wearing the watch of course), and here's how it looked like after:

c36020111027073551.jpg

c36020111027073610.jpg

c36020111027073626.jpg

I almost throw up my dinner after seeing this!!! After all, this is what the our trusted dealer states on his site, underneath the watch specs: Waterproofed to 30m

30 Meters my ass! c'mon, it was just the steam from my Kitchen Sink! Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

After telling my friend about the situation, I went ahead and strip the watch apart. Here's what I found:

- the caseback was put on finger tight.....as soon as I used my ball, it turned like butter without much of a pressure.

- no/nada/zip rubber o-ring on the case or caseback! - no wonder it fogged up!

- the movement holder was slightly loose inside. The washer was too thin!

- the inside crystal was full of crud, never been wiped! You could see it on the picture......you could also see the very obvious smudge on the inside crystal between

3 & 5.

These phuckers make all this Shity QC Claims and this is what we got!!!

Here's the "Quality Assurance" from this TD site:

1. Calibration

A. For Standard Automatic (Swiss ETA & Asia Clone ETA) and Quartz/Quartz Chrono, Accuracy to to +/- 10 secs.

B. For Automatic Chronograph (Asia Movement, Eg. Asia 7750) , Accuracy to +/- 10 to 30 secs

C. For Standard Automatic (Asia Movement, eg. 2813/4813), Accuracy to +/- 10 to 15 secs

We will try out best to achieve the best accuracy / rating for you. Don't be fool be competing amatuer and novice dealers claiming they can do better accuracy then about stated. This is the best possible rating that can be achieved because these are replica watches.

We will provide a picture of the watch on the calibration device and also the reading on the calibration regulation machine.

2. Physical /External Quality of the watch

You will receive photos of your watches in FRONT, BACK and BRACELET view via email before we send out the order. The Delivery Consignment note will also be shown. Order Number and Tracking No.s sticker will be pasted on the watch itself to identify that the correct watch that was checked and shot in the photos.

You will received pictures similar to these as shown below:

3. Waterproofing

All watches above price of USD200 will be given FREE waterproofing service ( 1 to 3 ATM). Again we will try our best to get the best rating for you. The method of testing is the "Dry Method" using a Dry Pressure Rating Equipment such as this one.

Beware folks! don't take the word of these TD's, you gotta check yourself! Don't let your excite get over you!

Dam F..thats a shame. :( I wash the dishes my hands..go out In the rain..and I have never had this happen to any of my reps...Maybe I've been lucky so far.

I came very close to picking one of these up a few months back...very nice looking diver.

One thing for sure..from now on Im going to do more than check the bracelet screws..Im checking the whole focking watch.

Thanks for the heads up F. :)

Mike

• Like 1

Dam F..thats a shame. :( I wash the dishes my h nds..go out In the rain..and I have never had this happen to any of my reps...Maybe I've been lucky so far.

I came very close to picking one of these up a few months back...very nice looking diver.

One thing for sure..from now on Im going to do more than check the bracelet screws..Im checking the whole focking watch.

Thanks for the heads up F. :)

Mike

No worries Mike, tis the reason why I posted this......

F is being very discreet and I thank him for that but I must admit I am the guy that sold him the watch ..... to my embarrassment...

I must admit I have owned a few HBs and my checks for these particular models were to check all the lug screws etc and with finger pressure check the CB as well as date change, +/- etc. As i dont have the tools for this type of caseback I have never bothered to open them though with PAMs I do :)

I have never considered any rep I own to be waterproof... when I first got into this hobby and when I decided a watch was a keeper I would ask the modder to WP the watch but given even after paying extra for that I still never trusted them as being WP ... it seemed a silly thing to do... not that I did that in this case..but I never wore it around water etc nor do I with any rep... I was even thinking that today as I took off my watch to do the washing up... :)

I think its important that this thread is seen by as many as possible, who dont already know, to highlight the fact that even from the best regarded trusted dealers... what you read aint what you get...

More importantly the manner in which these sort of issues are dealt with only add insult to the frustration of discovering the issue in the first place...

I would however like to publicly apologise to F for selling him the watch with this fault ...

PS - Esteemed...... thats a pun I guess going by the watch ;):)

Not your fault Pete..could have happened to anyone of us...on both sides. :)

Mike

Agreed. But I made a similar argument about the PAMs being of such a design that even the reps should be inherently waterproof, if all the gaskets and o-rings are installed correctly and the CB tightened. Repping a watch with a 4000m WR, I would expect they can easily achieve 1/20th with a basically similar design. Remember that an OTB Seiko or Citizen with a non screw-down crown and push-fit case back is good for swimming, showering, and all kinds of watersports (i haven't managed to kill one yet, and believe me, I've tried! :op), so the PAM Luminor cases and these specially designed diving cases should be inherently waterproof, IMO.

Seeing that glass get fogged up like that really makes me wonder what kind of opium they're smoking at the factories :)

my Panerai PAMM177 also arrived with loose backcase - looks like all these watch only finger tightened .

and when I checked the O-Ring Rubber inside, its dirty and dry ! [even my old Casio has lubricant on the o-ring rubber]

i need to wash it, then lube it with special lubricant.

Agreed. But I made a similar argument about the PAMs being of such a design that even the reps should be inherently waterproof, if all the gaskets and o-rings are installed correctly and the CB tightened. Repping a watch with a 4000m WR, I would expect they can easily achieve 1/20th with a basically similar design. Remember that an OTB Seiko or Citizen with a non screw-down crown and push-fit case back is good for swimming, showering, and all kinds of watersports (i haven't managed to kill one yet, and believe me, I've tried! :op), so the PAM Luminor cases and these specially designed diving cases should be inherently waterproof, IMO.

Seeing that glass get fogged up like that really makes me wonder what kind of opium they're smoking at the factories :)

Agreed..thats why I also agree that this thread needs a bump here and there. A good reminder for everyone. :)

Mike

The funny thing is that it is the deep sea diver watches with he valves, thick crystals, etc. are the ones with the most opportunity for leakage.

Very true. Then you need to throw more money on sealing the valves and pressing the crystals, changing gaskets. What the hell?

That diver is on my wish list, too. But I am upset by that thread, now. Most of us are very used to watches and there even was a "cartel-thread" a few years ago discussing QC among others. So I think the most of us can judge a watch as well as the dealer`s ads. So how do you judge this Hublot diver issue? Do you think the dealer's blurb is just another case of warm words? Or is that model basically a good watch with some capability to become a reliable item after some service work? Is only the watch described here lemon or the hole series due to production issues or what ever?

And this is what is frustrating. Although all the reviews people do can warn us about inherent flaws in the rep design or construction there is no way to tell on the QC. The question is always who is doing it and exactly what are they testing for. Is a dealer really checking every watch to make sure there are the appropriate gaskets and seals? Any one dealer can sell hundreds of one model.The dealers have made great strides and the better ones will rectify the situation with a replacement or a repair but this will always be our concern. So I agree with the approach of pick what you like, find out the already listed problems and then proceed carefully. No matter what a dealer states I assume that any watch with an He valve is going to need sealing up before taking swimming. But write ups like this are really helpful. is anyone going to accept a diver watch without a case back gasket? I now know to ask a dealer (if I order one) whether my Diver has one before accepting it. The next question is who else is going to take off their case back to make sure there is a gasket. And there are always other things you can't account for. I see the fogging came after washing dishes in hot water. Well, if there is steam involved I can tell you very few watches will survive a steam room. I have fogged up more than one gen watch that way.

@shultz - in answer to your question: "Or is that model basically a good watch with some capability to become a reliable item after some service work?" YES! It is and it could be! I recieved the gaskets/o-ring and silicone grease yesterday and installed one on the case (35mm) and one on the Case Back (28mm); both greased and also greased the inner tube o-ring and crown o-ring....and closed and tightened it with this:

hbbback.jpg

and this baby is as tight as a Virgin......had it tested to 10ATM - passed.Took showers with it with me and left it on the shower room while the family are showering, and also been washing so many dishes with it and so far.........Flying A - colors! Next test is actually dive with it.......but that will be awhile!

Some other things you could do:

- replace the outer ring holder washers to a thicker and longer ones.....you need three of them! (sorry I didn't take any pictures of that!)

and we all know how bad the Hublot Rep Bracelet Clasps are........you can't wear your watch for very long (5 mins tops - in my experience),

it starts digging into your skin!

- this is what I did:

Take a filing stone like this:

stonekh.jpg

and use the fine side and slightly file the edges and corners of your clasp kinda like this:

hbbclasp.jpg

and finish up with this emery board/nail filer (pssssssst....don't tell your wife or daughter you stole from!):

emery.jpg

Here's how mine looks like:

hbbclasp1.jpg

hbbclasp3.jpg

hbbclasp2.jpg

Now I can wear it all day long!

Parting shot:

hdiver4000m.jpg

Great stuff. Do you have any concerns on the crystal/bezel gasket? That is where I have historically had issues on a number of reps.

So far so good! I only experienced the Xtal leakage problems twice since I started collecting:

- the 1st batch of GMTIIc that I ordered prom Joshua had an improperly setted xtal

- a couple of Getat PAM cases I ordered from him had xtal plastic o-ring issues!

Other than that, I've been very lucky.......I guess!

I wear most of my watches diving to about 80-90ft. I even wore the V1 AP Safari down to 60+ ft. with no problems just by greasing

the orings and tightening the screws~!

Good thing I read this thread, as I was not far away from choosing this particular TD for my first rep purchase.

Sad thing to see though, as I thought this one would be one of the best.

Good thing you know more then me, and will be able to fix it. Great looking watch nonetheless.

Hike: Thanks for the tutorial. Great job. Checking the seals is always the first job I do after receiving a new rep. If seals and some grease will make this baby a watch which is good for some water sports I think I will pull the trigger and place my order (x-mas is coming soon)

Hike: Thanks for the tutorial. Great job. Checking the seals is always the first job I do after receiving a new rep. If seals and some grease will make this baby a watch which is good for some water sports I think I will pull the trigger and place my order (x-mas is coming soon)

After the minor mods/upgrade, I'd say.....go for it! It's really a nice watch and for it's size very comfortable due to the titanium material used!

Good luck!