When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mt. Everest......the "Holy Mother" is calling!......or my aching joints!

hiker01

everest1k.jpgeverest2i.jpg

everest3c.jpgeverest4.jpg

She is calling my name!

I decided to go and climb Mt. Everest next spring........my original plan was when I turn 60! But my right knee and right hip seems to be telling be to do it sooner, so......here we go.

The reason why I'm sharing this adventure with the community is two fold:

First - with the number of members we have worldwide, there must be someone who shares the same activities that the I love...the outdoors (hiking/trekking/climbing, white water rafting, mountain biking,

camping, backpacking.......).

It's been some time since I did a climb above 13000ft - July 2010 Mt. Harvard/Mt. Columbia, Colorado and I need to update my gears. I'm hoping that some of our members could suggest new gears that

they actually have used and really like and would recommend.....Nanuq, you listening??? I'm looking at the following:

*please consider the cost - I mean not too expensive, but will serve it's purpose

- hiking boots

- pants

- inner layer (upper and lower body) something quick drying and don't stink!

- ultra light parka but rated to 0F - I think my vests are still good

- ultra light sleeping bag rated to 0F

- sleeping bag liner

- weather proof (rain/snow/wind) hard sheel outer layer

- gloves

- ultra light backpack that will hold 50lbs

- ultra light water treatment system....anyone tried Steripen?

- anything that you could think of I need.

Second - most of us are adventurers deep inside and I'm hoping that most members would like to know and enjoy the adventure that I would go thru. At the same token, if some of our members have been to Nepal or Tibet could share with me their adventure and experinced encounterd along the way. I would like to get educated as much as I can prior to the trip and I would appreciate any input. I have researched and read a lot already about the adventure, but your input would give it a different dimension.

In the coming days and weeks, I will be selling 90% of my collection to add funds for this trip, so look for my FS postings.

Thank you all for reading and hopefully you would share with me this adventure! Namaste!

Now the training begins..........if you have any tips and suggestion, please feel free to add!

Well congratulations on your new adventure!

I've waited too long for my body to be able to do something like this.

My hats off to you and your an inspiration for all of us.

Sorry I can't contribute to your gear as I haven't done anything like this in 20 yrs.

I hope you are able to take lots of pictures for us! Most of all...be safe! :)

@LHOOQ: :lol: In truth I wondered the same thing but made no assumptions ;)

Another lover of the outdoors here but afraid I cannot help with your gear list. Everest is a little out of my league. Typically if I can't ride up on two wheels it is too tall or too steep for me :) Kudos for taking on such a lofty goal and best of luck achieving the summit.

So what watch will you wear? Certainly that piece of gear has already been selected.

When is the target for reaching the summit and what is your schedule for ascent?

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the Well Wishes! I appreciate that!

I'm going digital on this trip......no mechanical......I'm travelling Ultra-Light, so not planning to bring a backup.

Here's my primary tool kit:

hikegear.jpg

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the Well Wishes! I appreciate that!

I'm going digital on this trip......no mechanical......I'm travelling Ultra-Light, so not planning to bring a backup.

Here's my primary tool kit:

hikegear.jpg

I wonder why you'd need a compass? If you start at the foot of a mountain, and you want to climb it, I assumed you'd just keep heading towards the higher bit?

:))

Sorry F, it had to be said :) good luck, and keep us availed of your equipment and plans :)

A mate of mine did the same thing a few years back..... he loved it...

I found what he told me about the practices of the locals in terms of the rules the tourists must follow very interesting.... use of sherpas, tipping, etc

Look forward to you posting the highest taken wristie ever !! :)

Great choice on the watch F..when It comes to confronting the elements...nothing beats the good old Casio.

Btw.. Is that a Pathfinder tough solar? :g:

Mike

Great choice on the watch F..when It comes to confronting the elements...nothing beats the good old Casio.

Btw.. Is that a Pathfinder tough solar? :g:

Mike

You got that right, Mike!

I wonder why you'd need a compass? If you start at the foot of a mountain, and you want to climb it, I assumed you'd just keep heading towards the higher bit?

:))

Sorry F, it had to be said :) good luck, and keep us availed of your equipment and plans :)

Compass is just part of the APP, it also have the topo and elevation and your location as you climb! Pretty cool app for $5.99!

A mate of mine did the same thing a few years back..... he loved it...

I found what he told me about the practices of the locals in terms of the rules the tourists must follow very interesting.... use of sherpas, tipping, etc

Look forward to you posting the highest taken wristie ever !! :)

Hey Mate,

Talk to your friend and get some more info. Any tips would be great!

That sounds like a fantastic plan, I wish I had advice I could give you, I suspect Nanuq would

be The Man to talk to about such conditions and activities :) Rhe one piece of advice I can give, however, is recommend taking a physical compass, incase your app stops working :) Best of luck with the expedition, bro :good::drinks:

• Like 1

That sounds like a fantastic plan, I wish I had advice I could give you, I suspect Nanuq would be The Man to talk to about such conditions and activities :) Rhe one piece of advice I can give, however, is recommend taking a physical compass, incase your app stops working :) Best of luck with the expedition, bro :good::drinks:

Absolutely. Nothing beats old school. Though i know s h i t e when it comes to this sport... :p

Got the manual compass covered......though I probably won't need it as subbies pointed out, but you never know!

Thanks for all those who just chimed in!

Time frame is March to May....for those asking!

• Like 1

Damn, F! I don't even like climbing stairs if there is an elevator handy!! I wish you all the luck in the world and hopefully "Murphy" will be too lazy to tag along! I will also third the sentiment that you will be my new hero as well.