When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown issues on 45mm upo help please

the_rymeister

Hi guys ive just received my 2nd planet ocean as the first was doa.so I sent it back and got a new 45 upo.

Really happy with dealer as wasn't an issue, he sent me a new watch as there was issues with the 1st I ordered.

So...... Today I get home excited to be opening my new upo..... I resize the strap.....really happy as I just bought a tool kit from toolbitz. Then I go to adjust time on watch..................

To find the crown pops out the 2 steps to time set.... It won't set the times moving hands forward but will set the time by moving hands backwards , which I'm not happy with doing, I try popping in one notch to set date and date wheel doesn't do anything, feels like it would grind something internally if I was to try turning it..

Also the crown wheel is wobbling up and down on stem!! It screws in and out perfectly on the tube though.

Am I correct in saying this wants a new crown,stem and tube or does it sound worse than that?

I'm not really up for sending back again as this would be the 3rd time.and all I want is to wear my watch not spend another 2 weeks tracking it to china then tracking back.

If its just a case of fitting gen stem crown and tube I will try this myself.

Does anyone know what the part numbers would be for these parts as I did have a look on cousins uk and there was different choices/ case numbers ect.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers guys

Ry

Are you sure the crown isn't just unscrewing on the stem when you are turning the crown CCW?

It would seem logical since that's the way you set the time forward and tightening it would be the time going backwards.

Also, I doubt you could fix the internal workings of a crown if it's wiggly.

I think I need to try and remove stem from watch.is there a step by step guide for taking eat 2824's apart.searched web but can't find much. Maybe the crown is loose on the stem? it unscrews from the tube then it clicks out 2 clicks !then nothing happens when you turn It to move hands forward but if you turn hands backwards then they move fine?

UPO crowns are a little wobbly normally IME. Not date setting and hands only winding backwards is keyless works problem.

Ok cheers buddy for advise. Crown is deffinatly more wobbly than usual. Is the keyless works a big problem to sort out?

Looks like I'm sending it back for the 3rd time.. Think I may as well buy a gen planet ocean as the time I get a rep that actually works, I would have paid the same cost in postage fees as the cost of a gen.lol

I always ask my dealer to ensure that the hack, date-set, and time-set are all functional as a step in my QA notes. For some reason when I started getting into reps and ordering, I felt like I was asking for too much in my QA notes, so I would only ask for basic front, back, side pics of the watch. Then after I started combing the forums, I started noticing that (rarely) it seems some run into movement problems, and started asking for a lot of QA in addition to the basic pics. If the dealer is trusted across all of our hobbies forums, then 99% of the time (IME) you'll get a good watch with good movement IF you get very specific in your notes. I'll even casually mention that I'm a member of rep forums and let them know that I'll do a nice review on the sites after receiving their product. Everything helps! Heck, $200+ for a asian clone ETA movement rep really isn't cheap if it's DOA.

The crown stripping (as you know!) on UPO's is a known issue, and there are tutorials on the r&r with a gen. I JUST received my UPO from Marvelous Rep and I'm very satisfied, but I know I'll have to treat the crown with kid-gloves to avoid the striping issue. As far as the movement goes, many chose to locate a Swiss ETA and replace their Asian ETAs with them. It's cheaper than a new rep, and if you're lucky, cheaper than a few return shipping costs back to your dealer. Regardless, I would let your dealer know about the problem and see what he/she says.

Don't send it back. Buy the insanely cheap gen crown and tube. You'll be very happy. While its being installed, the watchsmith can reset your keyless works.

You will have arrived as a true rep hobbyist when you accept that it's not about receiving a perfect watch. You say "I can work with this!"

Don't send it back. Buy the insanely cheap gen crown and tube. You'll be very happy. While its being installed, the watchsmith can reset your keyless works.

You will have arrived as a true rep hobbyist when you accept that it's not about receiving a perfect watch. You say "I can work with this!"

amen to last part of this statement! but yes, gen crown and tube is indeed such a cheap and easy mod and makes all the difference, a quick service ontop and it should be running like ermmm clockwork...

as for the cousins part numbers if its a 45.5mm planet ocean it will be same as my orange one-case number for my orange bezel 45.5mm is 168.1652, i think the 45.5mm black bezel with white numbers is case number 168.1650...either way the crown and tube is the same reference numbers for both cases on couisins which is:

crown-42184st

tube-x12870

the tube is known as a "pendant tube" on the site incase you cant find it, good luck and show pics when finished!

Right guys I got up this morning with a clear head and thought to myself.......sod it what's the worst that can go wrong! A massive thanks to everyone for there help and information especially the thread by sneed regarding keyless works tutorial.bare in mind I have never even taken the back off a watch, I managed to follow the tutorial by sneed and fix my keyless works.. I'm going to upload the photos on to my computer this afternoon and show you guys what I found and what I did.thanks again guys you don't know how happy I am to have fixed my watch.

Cheers

Ryan

amen to last part of this statement! but yes, gen crown and tube is indeed such a cheap and easy mod and makes all the difference, a quick service ontop and it should be running like ermmm clockwork...

as for the cousins part numbers if its a 45.5mm planet ocean it will be same as my orange one-case number for my orange bezel 45.5mm is 168.1652, i think the 45.5mm black bezel with white numbers is case number 168.1650...either way the crown and tube is the same reference numbers for both cases on couisins which is:

crown-42184st

tube-x12870

the tube is known as a "pendant tube" on the site incase you cant find it, good luck and show pics when finished!

Cheers for the part numbers bamcky I received them in the post today from cousins. Going to fit the parts the weekend.

crown-42184st

tube-x12870

The tube i have is "st1232"

need to order another one... can we get another opinion here please?

The tube i have is "st1232"

need to order another one... can we get another opinion here please?

search the reference number i supplied "x12870" and the number you have "st1232" on the cousins site-it brings up the same part in the results.it is the correct part for the 45mm planet ocean.

i think 090ST1232 is the part number and x12870 is cousins own reference number for the part.

if you want further confirmation go to cousins website, go to branded parts/omega/omega case parts, enter 168.1652 in the case number box (this is the case number for the orange bezel 45mm planet ocean) then search all parts, towards the bottom you'll find the pendant tube, £2.75. will fit all 45mm planet oceans...im sure other people will confirm the parts number too but i think you can tell im pretty sure i got it right!

Cheers for the part numbers bamcky I received them in the post today from cousins. Going to fit the parts the weekend.

no probs buddy, looking forward to seeing the finished watch!-you'll be after gen dial/hands next...then bezel...then crystal...then bracelet...it will never end! but modding is soooo rewarding and addictive is it not?!