When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The <acronym title='Crown Guard'>CG</acronym> mod nobody talks about...

projectologist

I started doing this mod with all of my brushed rep CG's as well as with the vintage versions found on 6152/1's.

So far I haven't noticed this detail on Ti CG's and some of the 47mm subs.

As you can see in the first pic (grabbed from an OP catalog), when the raw CG is getting milled and de-burred prior to having the final brushed finish applied, the sharp circumference edges have been very lightly chamfered (the same is done to the lever).

When the brushed finish is applied, this chamfered/shiny edge is further reduced a little more, but is still present when it arrives at the AD and put on display.

I've found it easy to replicate this by taking a small diameter wood dowel and wrap a small piece of polishing cloth (I used a Tiger cloth) and running it along just the edge at a 45° angle to the CG body. This is after I've knocked down the edge sharpness a litte doing the same with 1200 grit wet/dry.

The reason you might not notice it right away with some gens or pics is because these edges get dulled or smudged with oils from your fingers while winding and setting the time, just like polished cases. A little clean up with a micro-fibre cloth and it's back.

On your wrist you can see it with gens as a very thin highlight around the CG body edge and the edge of the lever tip when closed.

The edge shininess looks exaggerated in the early stages of CG production...

CGmod01.jpg

Easily visible when blown up but more subtle in-person. Once you notice the difference putting the modded rep CG next to one that isn't it's pretty obvious. Gives the rep CG's a more refined OEM look that gets it one step closer to 1:1.

Notice too the polished edge of the lever visible at the tip when closed.

The mod made a big difference on my grail place-holder...

CGmod02.jpg

CGmod03.jpg