When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did you know...There are 2 different gen steelfish dials thru-out the years?!

hackR

hmmmm...do you know that there are 2 different gen steelfish dials?...i have a gen blue '08 and it's the same dial as yannou's gen white '10...however, bike mike and by-tor have a diferent dial...Mike's steelfish is an '09 and by-tor's is an '06...

why is this interesting?!...breitling source has an article showing the steelfish 44mm "x-plus" -- introduced in '06...after '06, the "x-plus" was dropped and it was simply "steelfish"...this article shows an x-plus '06 that is the same as Mike's (an '09) and by-tor's (an '06)...why is Mike's '09 the same as the '06 yet my '08 is different?...i've googled and web-searched the for sale sites and other references and can't seem to sort this out...

anyone with some information or insight?

Check this out:

Dial #1:

Noticeable features: thicker silver date surround, wider lume surrounds and the '13', '15', '16', '19' etc are more squared off than round...lume appears to be more white than light green uncharged (there are more differences)

Breitling source article of the difference in the 42mm and 44mm steelfish circa '06...in '07, Breitling dropped the 42mm steelfish and dropped the "x-plus" from the 44mm...

http://blog.breitlin...whats-the-diff/

Here's a pix of the 44mm "x-plus" from this article (on the left):

steelfish_comp_02.jpg

Here's a pix of Mike's '09

IMG_1069.jpg

Here's a pix of by-tor's '06 'x-plus'

9.jpg

Dial #2:

Noticeable features: thinner silver date surround, thinner lume surrounds and the '13', '15', '16', '19' etc are more round than square...lume appears to be more light green uncharged (there are more differences)

Yannou's pix of his '10 dial (this is the same dial as my '08)

img3003.jpg

Here's a '10 version from a FS post on Breitling Source:

IMG_0564.jpg

There are other differences (to name a few):

- shape of '2' in '20, '21', '22', '23'

- shape/thickness of the '6','9', '12'

- the tick markers on the rehaut are diff lengths

- lume is slightly recessed in one, flat to the top of the holder in another

I've googled and checked out numerous pictures and FS posts that list the year of the steelfish...i can't seem to determine the ryhme/reason of what dial goes with what year...confusing to me is why: by-tor's '06 dial, flips to my dial in '08', yet flips again in Mike's '09...then i see '10 that look like my '08...

Anyhow - not sure i get it, or will ever get it...

Just thought this was interesting - yet confusing...

R-

@Red: They changed the seconds hand to arrow for the 2007 model.

@HacR: Good observations. I never noticed. Probably just same variation(s) that Rolex dials always had.

My lume is definitely ivory white when uncharged.

Like this.

fish_p.jpg

Here's a pix of my v1 swiss/best rep dial...i just checked on my other v1 swiss reps (silver, black, blue) and they are similar - but not exact - as this one...there's at least a couple v1/early release dials out there...

imag0172rhm.jpg

There are definitely differences between the new v2 and my v1s...check out the '13'-'23" printing and '6', '9' and '12' markers...for starters...but i will say, i like the new v2 dial...it would be crazy to do - not that i'm known for that - but i think this is another mix/match...take the dial/movement/dw from the v2 and transplant into the v1 case...

imag0172rhmboth.jpg

That dial looks very good. As we know the rep violet blue colour is different to the gen. Nothing wrong with that though. It's a nice dial and colour.

I had one from the very first batch. Maybe it's the same watch as yannou's new one? I dunno... I think I've lost my "eye". :D

3.jpg

Edit: I don't think so. yannou's concentric circle effect looks much better. :good:

@BT...your v1/early release rep above is the same dial as my v1 in my comparison pix...this new v2 dial is definitely a new one...color is still off from the gen, but other attributes are better than the v1/early release batches...

This is one factor that I could not stand about the newer Steelfish models was the thinner indicies. It really takes away from the impact or character that the older version had. IMO opinion anyway.

Here is my gen blue dial X-plus from 2005. Miss the Pro bracelet also.

shine9vy.jpg

imgp38431wa.jpg

sfxp6zt.jpg

sfcloseup13lc.jpg

No, I am referring to the metal circle indices around the lume at the 1, 2, 4, 5, etc. It is considerably thinner on the newer gen dials. I am not sure where the change took place but I compared mine to my friends newer gen and it really blew me away that the dials looked that different. His had the newer arrow second hand and the thicker hour & minute hands also when compared to mine.

My buddy even noticed it and he is not psychotic about this sort of thing like I am. :bangin: