When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Rolex Crystal question.

Londongeorge87

Cheers. Hmmm well the coronet is very definitely gen.

I know the code on the packaging refers to a dj. Does that mean it definitely won't fit a sub?

Supplier has told me it will definitely fit a sub and has the ar cyclops. I'm baffled and not sure of either.

He's a pal of mine and has offered money back if I'm not happy for any reason.

Any experts here care to shed any light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with highhoeyazmuhudee that the packaging looks generic. I haven't seen Rolex packaging that looks like that before. But that crystal can be used on DateJusts and 16610 Subs. The difference would be in the gasket that is used in conjunction with it. I know it is virtually impossible to capture the LEC, but can you get the AR coating?

That packaging is definitely not genuine. So unless a known seller with a Rolex parts account has repackaged a used part (which is against Rolex's policy & grounds for losing your Rolex account), I would say it is worth $15-$30 (the higher end for genuine Swiss-made only), which is the going rate for aftermarket Rolex crystals.

Packaging is generic and doesn't relate to the crystal inside, crystal came from a brand new gen. Just spoke to my supplier.

That clears that up. I'll get some shots of the ar etc if possible. Have got two of them, if anyone's interested I might shift one.

More shots coming up.

Hard to tell with these pics. Shoot a pic outside in the sun over something dark & the area in the cyclops, if it is gen, will look like a hole in the lens (ie, clear, with almost no glare/reflection). Rolex ARs both sides of the cyclops, which is lacking on virtually every aftermarket xtal I have come across (though many aftermarkets have the laser etching @ 6, so this is not a reliable indicator).

From discussions over at rwi I'm pretty sure now this is gen.

Have been assured 200% by my pal I bought from also. Story all stacks up too.

Based on this, what would be a good price to sell at?

And I'd quite like to put one in my bk 16610, and am in the uk. Where's best to take the watch? Are any mods needed to get it in?

I really don't think it is too big. I'm 100% sure it's gen.

May be the angle of the photo that makes it look larger as the coronet end is nearer the camera.

What are you basing your statement on? By all means prove me wrong if I am - its all a learning curve :)

I'm pretty certain I'm not mistaken though.

To make it easy, take the best loupe you have and count the dots in the coronet.

Compare it to this picture I took from a gen 2002 Ex1 - I used a Microscope ;)

Also compare the overall dimensions of the single parts - in no area the dots are so close together that they build a line or solid area...

061124_LK_2a.jpg

Dee