When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's a Red Letter Day!

JoeyB

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Woow, maaaaan i love these vintage gmt's! They scream sport and retro at the same time!!!

Now, HOW did rolex menage to [censored] up all there line in just a few years? God damn rolex!!!

Thank you all!

The dial is refinished by me. The camera didn't pick up the aged gloss with spider webbing, but it came out nice. The Red Lettering is much more visible and crisp in person. I think it might be the crystal that interferes with that. The crystal is a major disappointment. It is a NOS GC replacement for a 25-115, and the cyclops is totally distorted, along with waviness in the face. It lined up so perfectly with the date window too. Really disappointing. I'll replace it with a Clark's 25-116 until I find another 25-115. freddy's got good eyes! The GMT hands I'm working on having made didn't come in time, so I slapped this one together. I had only one broken acrylic insert out of the last batch, so I used it here to disguise it a bit. But freddy caught it right away. I beveled the bezel on the bottom, but not the top until I have the final insert fit to it. Once beveled on the top it will look as a 6542 bezel should.

The case came from an Ebay seller from Hong Kong, I think the same one JMB bought one from. onlinestorehk had a 'Bond Submariner' case with 3 NATO straps, crown, crystal, caseback, bezel , insert springbars and movement ring at around $80 or best offer. I made an offer and told him I only needed the case, caseback and bezel and he took it. It looked just like the case Ken at Rafflestime has. I reworked the case, beveled the lugs, thinned it out and drilled the lug holes. I like the way it came out.

It has the ETA 2846 slow beat I serviced, and that several of our members helped supply the GMT parts needed to convert it. Special thanks to Librarian, curlflash and RolexAddict! It has my red/black date wheel overlay and the 6mm Brevet crown from Ken at Rafflestime that I reshaped a bit.

So, it was rushed to post a bit, but for a fun reason. This is my birthday present from me to me. I wanted to post it on my birthday, April 7, and see if anyone would catch the serial number being my birth date and year, 471951. When the case turned out to be pretty good, I had it engraved to be 'special'. I think those few finishing touches and it'll be a very good one.