When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review IWC top gun V3 (3789) edit: with logo mod

gmtlover

Hi Guys,

Just received my IWC top gun 3789 so as promised my review.

I unfortunately have no experience with V1 or V2, so I will do my best to describe V3 as accurate as possible

First of, these were the improvements toro said were made.

Correct case markings ( top gun logo on left side of case)

Superlume

double sided AR

But he, how can I see that it really is a V3?

Ok, so the first thing that caught my eye was the top gun logo on the side of the watch.

Unfortunately it is not correct colour wise.

It is white as hell, looks the same like the V1 I have seen in other reviews.

Maybe this is the V1 case?

post-41219-0-13936200-1348835666_thumb.j

Next up is dial, in my opinion it looks good, but again I can only reference with photo's

edit: just noticed the colour of the date numbers is different then that of the days..

will try to make a pic of it tonight when I am at home

post-41219-0-71476400-1348835760_thumb.j

This is the caseback, engraving looks quite good.

post-41219-0-84761700-1348835848_thumb.j

there was some talk about the colour of the pushers and crown an buckle on the strap.

They should be made of titanium if I am correct, well they certainly have the same colour

take a look for yourself

post-41219-0-74247100-1348836023_thumb.j

post-41219-0-45270500-1348836073_thumb.j

This is the lume shot, i think it looks ok, but I am no lume expert, I only have a BK DSSD to compare which has no superlume and I must say the IWC's is definitely brighter.

first shot is lume with some surrounding light

post-41219-0-81631000-1348836285_thumb.j

2nd one in total darkness after 2 min of sunlight

post-41219-0-56964000-1348836333_thumb.j

As you can see the hour makers aren't as bright as the hands.

of course a wristshot

post-41219-0-85623100-1348836473_thumb.j

And one to compare with my BK DSSD for size

post-41219-0-14278000-1348836530_thumb.j

Maybe experts with knowledge of V1 or V2 can chime in to compare.

I think the logo is still a big no no, can't be that hard to get the colour right so I will mod this myself.

Anyone here now what the best way is to remove the paint?

nailpolish remover?

It should have double sided AR but I am not impressed with it so I will let chieftang work it's magic on the crystal.

Because it's a A7750 I will also have it cleaned and serviced.

And then hope it will be more quiet because now it makes a lot of rotornoise.

Still I am happy with the watch and with some mods I think this can be an eye-catcher.

BTW strap looks really good.

So is it really worth the name V3..?? I'll leave that to the experts.

Thanks for reading and I you have any questions feel free to ask

Edit:

First attempt a fixing the white top gun logo. Hell it's my first watch mod ever, certainly not last ;-)

First a pic of the gen:

post-41219-0-94384900-1349290726_thumb.j

The gen colour sometimes looks grey, fighter pilot grey, which actually makes sense,

but sometimes it has a more silver/bronze colour.

post-41219-0-36764400-1349290988_thumb.j

This is my first attempt, happy about the colour but not yet about the finish.

So will try and improve the filling.

Have a look at first attempt:

post-41219-0-45890000-1349291155_thumb.j

In my first pic in the post you can see a before picture of the white logo!

Put in the Nokia and white background for colour comparison

Like or not? Tips maybe?

Great review and congratulations to your watch. I recently bought one too from another member. He removed the paint; at first I disliked it, but now I think it looks great. IWC removed the logo on their newer Top Gun models, too. I bought a V1 model, but I do not see any difference with the case. Your pushers seem a tiny little bit shorter, but that might just be the perspective from which the pictures where taken.

The rep strap looks very good! I might get one as well as I currently don't have a matching strap. I sent an e-mail to Ace Jewelers asking them about the price of the genuine strap. We'll see. :)

Enjoy your watch! This watch is about to become my favorite watch.

Great review and congratulations to your watch. I recently bought one too from another member. He removed the paint; at first I disliked it, but now I think it looks great. IWC removed the logo on their newer Top Gun models, too. I bought a V1 model, but I do not see any difference with the case. Your pushers seem a tiny little bit shorter, but that might just be the perspective from which the pictures where taken.

The rep strap looks very good! I might get one as well as I currently don't have a matching strap. I sent an e-mail to Ace Jewelers asking them about the price of the genuine strap. We'll see. :)

Enjoy your watch! This watch is about to become my favorite watch.

thnx!

The strap is indeed a very good one.. although a bit stiff first few time you try to put it on..but get's better every day

probably going to franken it with a gen movement and gen dial/hands in january.. because I have to get some funds for it ;-)

I will remove my paint tomorrow if I have some spare time, already ordered some different colours of paint..trying to match the gen colour.

will probably be some trail and error. Will post a pic when it's done

enjoy your watch too!

thnx!

The strap is indeed a very good one.. although a bit stiff first few time you try to put it on..but get's better every day

probably going to franken it with a gen movement and gen dial/hands in january.. because I have to get some funds for it ;-)

I will remove my paint tomorrow if I have some spare time, already ordered some different colours of paint..trying to match the gen colour.

will probably be some trail and error. Will post a pic when it's done

enjoy your watch too!

Awesome! The watch I bought already came with a genuine dial, hands and movement. I'm sure you will enjoy going franken! The gen dial makes such a nice difference. Looking forward to your pictures with the new color. Be careful not to put any paint remover on the crystal. :)

• 2 months later...

First of all you really have to remove all the old paint from the logo.. I used paint thinner. Be carefull to not touch the crystal because you will lose the AR. Then I used a mix of copper and silver. I used revell model paint.

Fill the logo and wipe the excess paint with a cloth without hairs.

First mix up the copper and silver a few times to get the right colour. Make sure you ha e enough, then apply it!

Good luck!