When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Uber-franken, Makeshift 16800 Wannabe

seafoam

Just put this one together. Ok, so this project started out as an MBW 1680. I used the MBW case for my Snowflake project with the intention of selling the MBW 1680 movement (2836) dial and hands. I had a TC case lying around and decided to make a go of the 16800. I think the MBW datewheel was modeled after the 16800. They are very close. Search for the dial was a bit frustrating with trying to find the right size and availability, but I finally went with bk’s “flat s” dial from the TW sub. Getting the 2836 to fit the TC case was somewhat arduous but it’s in there! I know, this is far from accurate but I liked the look of the old-school datewheel so much that I decided to run with it. I’ve included a gen photo for comparison that apparently had a new “Swiss Made” dial installed. Anyway, check it out.

Line up:

1. ETA 2836 with MBW 1680 datewheel
  2. TC case/TC tube and crown
  3. Clark crystal
  4. WSO insert with WM pearl
  5. Bk’s “flat s” dial and hands

Future mod plans

1. To pbdad for lug drilling
  2. Yuki matte 16800 dial (if/when available)
  3. Gen crown

P1110091.jpg

image ru

P1110067.jpg

online photo sharing

P1110078.jpg

upload photos

P1110068.jpg

upload pic

P1110055.jpg

upload pic

• Like 1

Ok, that explains it.

This watch proves what kind of superb frankens we're able to build these days, thanks to WM9/TC cases. Frankens of this quality were impossible just a few years ago.

Seafoam, send it to Justin if he's not too busy. TC cases fit a 2824 much better. I have a 2824 and taller cannon parts(including seconds sweep carrier) that I plan on using for the wife's built after my semester is done. The 2836-2 fits much better in a BK case. Although, the 2836-2 and TC dial/hands I have fit perfectly in the ST case with the right movement holder.

I think once you get the lug holes done you will be done sir.

Agreed Ephry73. There was some difficulty getting the stem in using the 2836 but i was finally able to manipulate the thing in. I did not have to bend it but it may have bent on it's own. The 2836 is what i have to work with at the moment but i very well may upgrade to the 2824 or even a SG ST2130. I'll post a movement shot in a bit.

Edit: I did shave the TC movement holder slightly. Not sure if that helped or not.

Edited by seafoam

Go for it TeeJay. Thanks for the kind words.

I have two routes for the 16800...

Budget 16610 with a swapped out bracelet is a given, but I can either:

Decase the dial, matte varnish it, recase it, and have a no risk circa 1983 16800 or...

Decase the dial, pull off the markers, replace them with custom made white vinyl stickers, lume the stickers, matte varnish it, and recase it for a circa 1981 (which ismy grail year...)

I have attempted Plan B before with paper stickers, the edges of which disolved when the varnish hit, making the dial impossible to salvage... :bangin: I am very tempted to give it another go with vinyl stickers, but am concerned of another naffed up dial... Then again, I guess they say no risk, no gain... :pardon::g: I know that if I 'only' go for the circa 1983, I'll only ever think 'what if..." every time I look at it :whistling:

Now that's a project. That's a lot of work for the dial TJ. Too bad Yuki's 16800 matte isn't available at the moment, or ever for that matter. Does your dial have "Swiss Made" or "Swiss -T<25"?

Yeah, it didn't work out so well with the paper stickers, as the edges started disolving with the varnish, but I think vinyl should retain its integrity, it's just a matter of cutting the shapes cleanly :whistling: Sadly the dial would be Swiss Made, rather than Swiss - T<25, so it would never be a 1:1 replication (although ironically, the last budget 16610 I ordered did have the requisite flat top 3s and open 6s and 9s :lol: ) My goal is just to recreate the overall aesthetic, rather than being 1:1 :) When the spare cash is available, I might indeed have another crack at it :good::drinks: