When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review Of Tag Heuer Link W/ Eta 2836

chrgod

TAGHeuer Link

My brother wanted me to choose a new watch for him, and since I have had my eyes on the plain Link rep for some time, I thought it would be a nice choice. It is one of the more expensive non-chrono replicas on the market, most dealers price it just below 200 USD, almost on pair with the chronos. My example are from Silix.

165247-11262.jpg

Replica Tag Heuer Link

The replica of the Tag Heuer Link Chronograph has the well deserved reputation of beeing one of the most accurate replicas available today. By-Tor has made an excellent review of this model. The little brother of the Chrono, the WJF2110 (black), WJF2111 (white) and WJF2112 (blue) have not recived much attention around here, so I thought it was about time to make a review. :)

The Link is a sporty watch in what I would describe as "upper middle class" of watches.. The plain Link is like a BMW 3-series or Audi A4, while the Link Chrono is more like Audi TT or Nissan Z.. It is a very belivable replica, a Tag is often bought by people who not necessary are into watches but just want a stylish watch of a well-known quality brand.

165247-11263.jpg

Genuine and replica. This genuine has a polished bezel.

165247-11264.jpg

Size comparison versus the Link Chrono. The Link is 39mm vs the Chrono which is 42.5mm.. The Chrono feels much bulkier and heavier.

165247-11265.jpg

A comfortable size with a low, well balanced profile. The smooth bezel and case profile helps the watch to easily silde under the shirt cuffs. Fit and finish are top notch. The brushed steel looks very good. AR-coating is not present.

165247-11266.jpg

Dial printing is very sharp. Date window is well made. The special dial pattern are striking and hard to capture on picture. A stylish watch.

The original uses Tag Heuer callibre 7, which as far as i have investigated are based on ETA2892. I wonder why they uses this movement instead of the cheaper and just as good 2836..? The 2892 has a lower profile, but as far as I know the replica are no taller than the gen..

165247-11267.jpg

Genuine and replica movement. The genuine picture is from Timezone, and is supposedly an genuine Link with the 2892 based Tag Heuer calibre 7. On the right is Trustys pic of the ETA-2836 movement inside the Link replica. To me it looks like the movement in the gen is also based on the 2836? From what I have digged up, Tag Heuers Calibre 5 is based on the 2824/2836, but this is mainly used in the midsize Tags. Anyway, the 2836 movement fits nicely inside the case of the replica, no ugly plastic spacer.

The ETA-movement in this rep gives it a true quality feel. Silent operation and a very smooth feel when you set time and date. The Chrono version might be more Macho.. but the noisy Chineese 7750 does not inspire much confidene. The 7750 also feels a bit cheap when you set the time.

The only minor differences I found are the miniature markings on the clasp and endlinks.. For some reason the bracelet of the plain Link misses the laser etched markings. The bracelet on the Chrono version does have these markings.. Strange. But these are really minor details.

The Link band is one of the most comfortable metal bracelets around.. The rep band are just as fantastic and on pair with the old Seamaster Professional bracelet!

165247-11268.jpg

Engravings inside the clasp of the genuine and the replica. Quite close, both in finish and quality. The replica misses the laser-etched engravings. For some reason, the bracelet of the Link Chrono has these..

165247-11269.jpg

Replica caseback. Note the missing engravings on the endlinks.

Caseback are very well replicated. Deep engravings and laser etched model number and serial number. Of course all watches have the same serial number.. It looks as the model number "WJF2110", which are for black dial version are etched on all models, also my white-dial version. Some genuine examples actually have also the bracelet model number etched on the caseback!

[165247-11270.jpg

Genuine caseback and endlink engravings.

165247-11271.jpg

The wristshot. A very comfortable sports watch. Low on the wrist and a smooth bracelet.

165247-11272.jpg

Tag Heuer has a long history of fine timepieces. They are probably not very happy for this replica.. ;)

In short.. This is the best replica I have seen.. I have become quite hard to impress when it comes to watches, but once in a while there are pleasent surprises.. It is a very good choice for those wanting a subtle stylish everyday watch. Maybe its "humble" looks and relatively low price for the genuine are the reasons for it not to be more popular in the replica community? Most watch geeks rather wants a flashy Planet Ocean, expensive IWC Ingenieur or sexy mechanical chronos as Bentley-Breitling or Link Chronograph :p

Some links about the Link:

The Link at TAG Heuers webpage

Ebay "Guide to recognize a fake Tag Heuer Link WJF2112"

The whole Link model line at Authenticwatches.com. Easier to navigate than the official TH webpage.

I've always said this is excellent rep... why it doesn't sell that much is a mystery. Perhaps members think it's too understated?

It looks surprisingly small compared to the chrono. It's not long ago when 39mm was considered "full size".

And absolutely fantastic work again with the review chrgod. It was a real pleasure to read it. Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was just browsing the TAG forum... and found this.

This great review deserves a BUMP...and even deserves to be pinned in the TAG section.

Edited by By-Tor

Nice review! So good in fact that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of these. Not my typical style but I need something for the office that is subtle and will not get called out. I plan to take Rolexman's advice and get the bezel polished (considering taking only the bezel to a jeweler for polishing) as the pics of Gens I found all show a polished bezel. Anyone else have one of these?

I own this rep and it was my very first rep purchase. That was also a great review and accurately displays what I was thinking in my head as I wear this watch daily.

However, my rep does indeed have the engravings on the endlinks! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I guess I got lucky with my dealer...

It is a funny story on how I got in to the the rep game. I purchased a gen Tag Heuer Link Calibre 6 and I kept scuffing the bracelet as I would wear it to work. I finally decided that if I could find a rep watch that looked like my gen, I would pull the trigger and buy it to wear just so if I did scratch or scuff the rep, I would not be angry.

To my surprise however, I did not anticipate how good of a watch this rep would be. I wear it day in and day out and it takes the abuse. The quality is impeccable and the compliments have been generous. When I did not know any better and I had my rep re-sized at a AD, even they were fooled.

I am a proud owner of this rep, and agree that it deserves more credit and attention.

Ahh... My old TagHeuer Link review! :)

Thanks for bumping this! My brother uses the watch almost every day, and is still very pleased with it. I borrowed it some months ago when I went to a job interview and needed a "subtle not-too-expensive quality watch" to go with a shirt. ;)

I have not got around to polish the bezel though, I actually think it looks a bit cleaner in all brushed steel.

Well, the rep arrived yesterday. I think it may be from Ghetto's supplier as the bezel is polished and it also has the laser engravings on the bracelet and the 4 digit number on the underside of the watch case, in between the lugs. I am blown away by the quality (has a good quality "feel" to it), and I have to say the bracelet has almost as much appeal as the watch itself. The only (minor) flaws I am able to find are:

1) Perhaps a slightly different date font, although not "in your face" different

2) Crown on the rep has wider spaced ridges as you can see in the pics above

3) I have the white dial version and the model/serial number engraved on my rep's caseback is WJF2113 BA0570. I think it should be WJF2111 as stated above.

I have another rep I recently received which is going to require spending an additional $400-500 if I want to get it to the same level of quality/Gen resemblance as this one is out of the box. I guess if I used chrono functions I would have gone for the big brother (asian 7750), but I also like that this one has a Swiss ETA 2824-2 under the hood.

Well I guess I spoke too soon... mine just quit on me today. I was at work and my friend noticed that my watch was not moving. I told him that I did not wear it at all over the weekend and the power reserve was depleted.

Well, I am clueless on why it stopped working. It has the Swiss ETA movement so it should be more reliable than this... I have wound it for 20-30 times, shook it just a tad... Nothing.

Any thoughts guys??

• 11 months later...
Well I guess I spoke too soon... mine just quit on me today. I was at work and my friend noticed that my watch was not moving. I told him that I did not wear it at all over the weekend and the power reserve was depleted.

Well, I am clueless on why it stopped working. It has the Swiss ETA movement so it should be more reliable than this... I have wound it for 20-30 times, shook it just a tad... Nothing.

Any thoughts guys??

Wow just as I was about to pull the trigger after reading this post I got to the post where the watch stopped working...did it ever get fixed and which dealer did you get it from? I like the polished bezel compared to the unpolished one.

Wow just as I was about to pull the trigger after reading this post I got to the post where the watch stopped working...did it ever get fixed and which dealer did you get it from? I like the polished bezel compared to the unpolished one.

Did not know exactly why it quit working, but I sent it back to my dealer and they fixed the problem. Really did not ask what was wrong, but got it back 6 months ago and it is still working perfectly. Knock on wood...

I do not wear it as much anymore because I favor the chrono reps with big mm faces.

Don't hesitate to get this rep though. I'm happy to have it in my collection

• 8 months later...

My turn to bump this review I guess, it really is fantastic. The link was one of the first reps I ever bought, though not of the quality mentioned here (mine came from a guy selling out of a briefcase in New York when I was 16). Finding this review makes me nostalgic, I might have to order one!

• 4 months later...

Glad to see that my old review still gets attention! :)

My brother is still holding on to the watch, even though I have not seen him wear it in a while. I'll have to ask him next time he gets around. Reading this actually makes me miss the watch.