When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese Quartz : the end of a long quest

Pix

Hi,

it's been a while I've been searching for it.

I've always liked the simple beauty and sex-appeal of the Portuguese chrono, but as many of us, I was somehow afraid of the 7750 version with seconds@6 : it is more or less obvious that this variation of the 7750 has some conception mistakes, although lucky members never met any problem.

How to invest 250 to 300 dollars in what I saw as a gamble ? Having no taboo with cheaper reps, and especially quartz, I thought that would be a fair solution, as many quartz movement (the simplest Miyota OS20) have seconds@6.

The problem was to find a dealer carrying it, and as usual, most of our known dealers avoid this cheaper field. I saw WBK (dealer on RWI) having an approaching version, but I did not like it as the caseback looked pretty cheap, and, real sin for the Portuguese design, it had a date@3, which I found to completely kill the harmony of the watch. Even the watch hunters like Ruby or TWP could not find what I was looking for. Brand9avenue had a YG version for 135 dollars shipped, but I belong to those who are reluctant ordering from them. I won't go in the detail. Finally the Graal came from iOffer where I've been wandering a lot these time (see my previous purchases) ! :D

And here it is. Hope you like the shots.

front1vj0.jpg

front2dy3.jpg

back1ri1.jpg

back2pm8.jpg

back3iq1.jpg

front3uo7.jpg

buckleop5.jpg

So...

How is it as a watch ?

When ordering 100 dollars range reps, there's always a risk to get really bad finished things, despite the long time spent in looking at the pictures very carefully. Fortunately, this has not really happened to me yet, and for the Portuguese, I think I was really lucky : the watch looks great ! I mean it. As the dial is white, there's no reflection on it, so that all the details and digits really pop up.

The mix of brushed and polished rose gold is just right : I was afraid of a "cupper" look, as it often happens for RG. Here it is perfecly balanced : it IS rose, and not red.

The crown markings are nicely executed which make the thing look good. However, I don't really like the choice for yellow gold. Maybe I'm a bit anal about coordination of colours.

I am very satisfied about the caseback which is engraved. I definitely try to avoid the laser etched ones, as it gives a "cheap" feeling, at least in my standards. The center of the caseback is highly mirror polished. The result is great, but unfortunately it will probably scratch easily. The choice of SS colour is clever in my opinion, as this is the place where usually the plating will fade very quickly.

The crystal is slightly doomed (let's say curved) and the water drop test says sapphire, although I'm not sure really.

Nothing to mention about the movement : it's quartz, therefore most reliable. And as the seconds subdial is tiny, you won't notice too much that it's ticking and not sweeping.

A special good mention for the strap : that's one of the rare strap I got without having to buy a new one, as most often rep strap just s**k... This one looks and feel great, the alligator pattern is particularly well done and I like the black inner leather that will show less smudge after a while.

Then you may ask, is it perfect ? Unfortunately not. There are 2 points which make the picture a bit worsening : first, the seconds dial. I have no clue why it is marked from 1 to 10, whereas it would have been so easy to have the standard 15/30/45/60 digits. I knew it while buying the thing, and some models had the correct subdial, but not the RG one. Basically it's not disturbing, except for those ((like me) looking at every details of a watch.

The second point is linked to my...anatomy ! :lol: The watch is 42mm...and the dial looks huge on my wrist ! It is almost 41 mm. That would not be disturbing on a casual or sports watch, but it is (in my mind) for a dressy watch. I have a Montblanc Timewalker which is 42 mm too, but this one look a bit smaller as the dial is not that large, and also because it's black.

That's very disappointing for me, as I am reluctant in wearing it, especially after several remarks about this watch looking really big. Well... such a long time spent in looking for it, and now I have to realize it's just not for me. :huh:

And from the rep point of view ?

The spirit of the Portuguese is definitely here. I can say that looking at it is just looking at a very pure and classy design. Here's a picture of the gen, which you all know. And it's only by looking at this picture that you will notice the differences. As there's no obvious point that will make you called.

gengz4.jpg

- subdials graduations are wrong, but their size and alignment are pretty good

- the quartz wording replaced the automatic one, which make sense

- the base of the pushers don't have the right color

All the rest look good to me, at least good enough, not to scream fake.

It's more difficult to judge the crown and the caseback, but if I compare them to the automatic 7750 rep, they are not accurate. Anyway they are well finished, that's the main point for me : a rep must first have some presence and give a quality feeling, before being accurate. Again, that's only my humble opinion.

Conclusion

I've been looking for such a long time for this very watch, and now that I could finally grab one, I had to realize that it's too big on my wrist... That's the reason why I am likely to sell it very soon.

I hope this experience will be useful for some of you.

Great rep, small wrist ;)

Very nice watch and great review, Pix - is this one from Tony?

I love the cheap-but-well-done watches from cqout, iOffer and Loudfrog.

Are you sure it's too big, after all, I've seen some Pam wristshots which are borderline too big, but yet....

I do not think that it looks too big on your wrist - give it a little more time because it is a good looking watch - Cheers

Rek001, no Tony's on CQout, that one is from Seikomark on iOffer.

@BT : thanks ! :D

Here are some comparison shots. And the missing wristshot.

photo001fs9.jpg

photo006tu3.jpg

Hi Vric,

I thought about a SS version too, but finally went for the RG.

Here's what is currently online over there. Slightly different. I don't think the dials are faithfully replicated, but at least they don't have the same flaw as mine.

1.jpg

Not the same (reliable) seller however.

There are also black dial versions, although I would not go for them due to the lack of AR.

Hope this helps.