When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cape Cod Polish

lanikai

I remember a little while ago a member posted .. what may have been an allergic reaction to some polishes..

I polished my BCE with cape cod the other day .. and wore it today .. got to the gym .. took it off and the palm side of my wrist had big red welts...I thought immediately of the Cape Cod... since I know I may not have gotten all the polish off the bracelets inside...

it has to be pretty corrosive if you know what tarnished silver looks like.. only heavy polishing used to remove that before... and with the heavy fragrance of vanilla on the Cape Cod.. it must be hiding some other odor...

so i tried their web site.. no HASMAT info or OSHA emblems...nothing on the package but .. contains "polish"

so I thought I would pass along that if you do use this to polish your bling... and if the bracelet is chain mail.. better run it under warm water and go over it with a soft tooth brush ...took some benedryl .. so the welts dissapated...

LIVE STRONG AND WASH THE CC OFF .. or you too will be scratching needlessly :bangin:

EDIT add on.........after being bumped to 3 different regions .. I got to talk to the Cape Cod people and by their own admission.. the polish does contain a lite solvent.. as to what this solvent is I will not repeat because it would only be conjecture so let's just say that YES.... it can be corrosive to some peoples skin... advised to wash off with warm water but not before all the polish is buffed off the surface in question...

I remember a little while ago a member posted .. what may have been an allergic reaction to some polishes..

'Twas me.

I had a breakout of angry red spots all over my palms, which spread up and down my arms. My palms were peeling for WEEKS. I didn't use gloves, plus used 2 other lotions alongside the CC (leather conditioner + diamond paste) and I KNOW I have an allergic profile since childhood, so that was REALLY dumb. :bangin:

I polished my BCE with cape cod the other day .. and wore it today .. got to the gym .. took it off and the palm side of my wrist had big red welts...I thought immediately of the Cape Cod... since I know I may not have gotten all the polish off the bracelets inside...

Oh Christmas, Lanikai. Poor thing. You'll be sleeping for a while on the Benadryl, so take care.

LIVE STRONG AND WASH THE CC OFF .. or you too will be scratching needlessly :bangin:

Amen.

Else 4 weeks later, and your palm will look like this:

cricketballeuropellisidrz9.jpg

:yuk:

nah... not a big deal .... no need for ... poor ting .. just a word to the wise... just wonder what is in the Cape Cod .. must have corrosive chemicals

"I give you every ting foh twenty figh dolla!". Sorry, a little Me So Horny flashback.

ANYWAY, DBR wrote in that thread that the petroleum jelly in Cape Cod cloths are why some people have bad reactions. Maybe he'll comment here tomorrow.

"I give you every ting foh twenty figh dolla!". Sorry, a little Me So Horny flashback.

ANYWAY, DBR wrote in that thread that the petroleum jelly in Cape Cod cloths are why some people have bad reactions. Maybe he'll comment here tomorrow.

Well, petrolium by-products are found in all polishes.. I'm going to try and call the 1-800 number to CC tomorrow .. they gotta have some other compound in there that is corrosive in nature.. to get off silver tarnish it may be some acid..

twenti fif doola.. sound like thailand price..went up 5 dolla.. man inflation, gas.... now this

Well, petrolium by-products are found in all polishes.. I'm going to try and call the 1-800 number to CC tomorrow .. they gotta have some other compound in there that is corrosive in nature.. to get off silver tarnish it may be some acid..

twenti fif doola.. sound like thailand price..went up 5 dolla.. man inflation, gas.... now this

So what are we supposed to do after polishing?

Rinse the metal in water?

That can't be right surely???

So what are we supposed to do after polishing?

Rinse the metal in water?

That can't be right surely???

Well maybe some have a reaction and some don't.. try putting some CC on your underside wrist area go to sleep and see what it looks like when you wake up :D

That would be awesome, Lani. Sure, most people have no reactions, but if we can avoid future problems with some, based on info, that would help.

And confession -- recently I cleaned my 112. No gloves. I'm retarded.

Well, Kiehl's lip balm went up too. You have to factor that into the BJ price. :lol:

Lani, there is nothing 'corrosive' in Cape Cod cloths. If there were, by law (at least here in EU) the packaging would be required to display this symbol...

warn005af8.gif

CC doesn't even have the lowest hazardous status of 'Irritant' either....(like OxyClean - p.s. the case is on it's way! ;))

images1do6.jpg

All it contains from a legal health/safety perspective is a 'Harmful if Swallowed' disclaimer.

The rash you got was simply an allergic contact dermatitis from the hydrocarbon distillates contained in those little pink pads, nothing more sinister. That's why they put gloves in the tin, same reason they put gloves in petrol station forecourts in dispensers attached to the pumps - same issue (HC-based) petrol/diesel and skin contact is often a problem. That an antihistamine reduced the welts only confirms there is an immunological component to the skin reaction. You just need to rinse a little more thoroughly next time.

That would be awesome, Lani. Sure, most people have no reactions, but if we can avoid future problems with some, based on info, that would help.

And confession -- recently I cleaned my 112. No gloves. I'm retarded.

Well, Kiehl's lip balm went up too. You have to factor that into the BJ price. :lol:

Kiehl's FTW. I stocked up on the lip balm and moisturizer at the family and friends sale at Saks. Everything else sucks. Raw winters suck more. And the price hikes really suck.

Kiehl's FTW. I stocked up on the lip balm and moisturizer at the family and friends sale at Saks. Everything else sucks. Raw winters suck more. And the price hikes really suck.

In January, my local Kiehl's boutique has a super-blowout sale. The lip balm which I buy for $12, is half off. :victory:

I make sure I stock up on EVERYTHING. Apart from being a Watch Queen, I'm also a Lotion Queen. You should see my en suite bathroom -- looks like the Lanc

Lani, there is nothing 'corrosive' in Cape Cod cloths. If there were, by law (at least here in EU) the packaging would be required to display this symbol...

warn005af8.gif

CC doesn't even have the lowest hazardous status of 'Irritant' either....(like OxyClean - p.s. the case is on it's way! ;))

images1do6.jpg

All it contains from a legal health/safety perspective is a 'Harmful if Swallowed' disclaimer.

The rash you got was simply an allergic contact dermatitis from the hydrocarbon distillates contained in those little pink pads, nothing more sinister. That's why they put gloves in the tin, same reason they put gloves in petrol station forecourts in dispensers attached to the pumps - same issue (HC-based) petrol/diesel and skin contact is often a problem. That an antihistamine reduced the welts only confirms there is an immunological component to the skin reaction. You just need to rinse a little more thoroughly next time.

AAAhhh OK... tried to PM you to leave the crystal on the case back so the tach ring would not be damaged... empty your PM please so I can send.. thanks.. lani

You never know who is allergic to what. I completely forgot that the Cape Cod "tin" comes with a pair of surgical gloves. :)

Yes .. I saw that on the web site ... gloves .. they say itis so you won't get finger prints on the silver after polishing but ... but they must know something that prompts them to add the gloves in the tin.. :rolleyes:

OK now we know..... talked to Cape Cod Manufacturer.. after being bumped to 3 different regions... by their own admission the polish does contain a lite solvent.... what it is I will keep to myself, because I know that on this they gave me Bovine Excrament.. but they did admit that it does have a "solvent".. it has too to remove heavy tarnish from Silver....so quickly without alot of elbow grease...IMHO.. anyway..

I used our own VB (nameless) as our critically ill gal .. "hands looks like a lizard shedding it's skin".. no offense VB... maybe they were fearful of a class action suit...

anyway,.. this is what I found strange about the ingredients saying "polish" usually it will say Petrolium distillates or Petrolium by-products..

If they do add in solvent.. what does this do?... HAZMAT and OSHA and the EPA would be involved... this comes from experience working with chemicals .. EPA ,OSHA ... payed visits to me when I owned an auto shop and someone (competitor) tried to shut me down... HEHE... all my products were biodegradable.

anyway back to OSHA....if they printed "Solvents" on the ingredients and admitted to it on the package.... then they would have to have the labels that Doc mentioned.. we have similar labels in the USA and if these labels were on the product.. ok .. what's the problem...... SHIPPING... HAZMAT WOULD BE INVOLVED... they did not tell me this .. it is a fact that I am aware of..

IT WOULD TRIPLE OR QUADRUPLE THE PRICE OF SHIPPING HAZMAT ITEMS... HAZARDESS WASTE STUFF.....which would make sales vulnerable to high prices.. too high .. stores would not be able to sell this on the internet... it would probably cost 25 usd or more .

the Vanilla scent is to hide the solvent odor IMHO....

So there you have it.. and the exec did say yes if you are wearing the polished item to wash it with mild soap and warm water... but to be sure the polish is buffed out before you do this. in other words no residue should be left before washing other wise it will congele.... maybe explode (joke)

So VB you are now directed to not only use gloves but also to wash your watches and bracelets before putting them on ... and if you have a BB ring .. DON'T use Cape Cod :rolleyes: ... the rash may travel downward :blink:

I used our own VB (nameless) as our critically ill gal .. "hands looks like a lizard shedding it's skin".. no offense VB... maybe they were fearful of a class action suit...

Holy crap.

the Vanilla scent is to hide the solvent odor IMHO....

Holy crap.

So VB you are now directed to not only use gloves but also to wash your watches and bracelets before putting them on ... and if you have a BB ring .. DON'T use Cape Cod :rolleyes: ... the rash may travel downward :blink:

Holy...wait, what? :lol:

I know Prince Albert Ring, but BB ring I'm guessing is something like Benwah balls. Only err, in rings. ;)

Lanikai, seriously, this was some AWESOME informative work from you today. Seems to be a day where we let our fingers do the walking on RWG, and go to the source.

That's some good stuff right there. :clap:

Holy crap.

Holy crap.

Holy...wait, what? :lol:

I know Prince Albert Ring, but BB ring I'm guessing is something like Benwah balls. Only err, in rings. ;)

Lanikai, seriously, this was some AWESOME informative work from you today. Seems to be a day where we let our fingers do the walking on RWG, and go to the source.

That's some good stuff right there. :clap:

BB.. Belly Button :lol: .. actually find it very sensual.. as a tiny ruby or diamond in the nose.. just don't sneeze and turn it into a projectile.. :rolleyes:

Just need to add.. I did not gather this info to "turn anyone in" .. but rather to seek answers to some questions on this product.. it would help to wear gloves for those who are sensitive to any type of solvent and to wash the metal that as been polished.. that's all .. not a witch hunt gang just information .. as that's what we are here for .. :D

Just need to add.. I did not gather this info to "turn anyone in" .. but rather to seek answers to some questions on this product.. it would help to wear gloves for those who are sensitive to any type of solvent and to wash the metal that as been polished.. that's all .. not a witch hunt gang just information .. as that's what we are here for .. :D

Hmm, did I miss a reply or did someone remonstrate with you privately about this, Lanikai?

I think what you did was absolutely marvellous, and so helpful, that I would be astonished if anyone thought differently!

Thanks for doing the fingerwork for us. :)

Hmm, did I miss a reply or did someone remonstrate with you privately about this, Lanikai?

I think what you did was absolutely marvellous, and so helpful, that I would be astonished if anyone thought differently!

Thanks for doing the fingerwork for us. :)

Oh No.. no negatives .. just a pre-emptive disclaimer.. in case of frenzied posts.. :Jumpy: ... their in a gray area(capecod) .. as they say it's "mineral spirits".. yeah right.. lite mineral spirits that have the actions of Paint thinner.. that's funny .. don't you think.. but it is a wicked good product.. just need to be mindful of what the properties really are.. that's why it dries out so fast if you don't seal the cloth..

Oh No.. no negatives .. just a pre-emptive disclaimer.. in case of frenzied posts.. :Jumpy: ...

LOL! Yeah, RWG seems to be full of punchy people today.

It's getting so that when you compose a post, you have to think, rethink, and think again about the littlest detail, because people seem hell bent on misconstruing what you meant.

Screw 'em, that's what I say! ;)

With Cape Code cloths. :lol: