When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega De Ville Co-axial chronometer : my small review

Pix

Hi Folks,

step by step I manage to issue the reviews for all my recently aquired reps... :)

Still 2 to go before all's cleared. Am I buying too much ? Definitely yes, as 2 other ones are on their way ^_^

This time I am staying in the "not so popular" models : I'm going to review a dressy model from Omega, a brand we know and discuss more for their SMP. Well, I was recently offered the 2007 Omega catalogue, and was surprised on how many models they carry, and especially how many dressy watches exist. That's good for me !

I discovered the De Ville Co-axial Chronometer by chance on iOffer, looking for something else. But I immediately liked its look. It just could be branded Vacheron Constantin... A nice way to change brands without changing style :p

The special price I was offered made me definitely decide it would be mine. Otherwise I don't think I would have gone for it.

That was what we may call an impulsive purchase, and I never took any opportunity to check the replication accuracy. Actually did not care about it, as those models are quite rare.

Let me start with some pictures : I hope they'll illustrate the reasons why I bought the thing in a heartbeat...

01front1vy9.jpg

Seamaster ? ^_^

02back1il0.jpg

Hidden 7750

03back3un9.jpg

Strap & clasp : 100% non Omega

04claspul8.jpg

Two-Tone : a smart way to stick to gold without too much bling

05crown1vf0.jpg

06sidehv5.jpg

Slightly misaligned hand. Resets well now

07dial1hs8.jpg

08art1lw8.jpg

So... How is it as a watch ?

Question of taste, personally I love dressy watches and wear them more than others. That one is definitely very classy. It sure is the "good old" 7750 chrono layout : but the mix of rose gold, stainless steel, blue hands and various shades on the dial make it very attractive...without being "too loaded".

Size : 38 mm. 41mm including crown. Height : 13 mm. Excellent proportions for that kind of style

The general fit and finish is good. I've seen better ones, but I can't find unpleasant details. Polished case, brushed without flaws between the lugs, half brushed/half satin rose gold (plated) bezel and finally a really great looking caseback, containing an Asian 7750. That was a surprise, as I am more used to see this movement in larger cases. In fact it's pretty well hidden by the rotor. Difficult to recognize the thing at the first glance. Looks and sounds like a 21.6 Kbph. The markings on the rotor seem to be engraved. They could have been more sexy... But actually nothing wrong nor nothing croocked.

Finally pretty heavy (approx. 100 gr) for this style, probably due to the movement.

As usual, the strap and (rose gold) clasp which came with the De Ville were far from my expectations. Even, I think the clasp was not closing properly, but as it anyway had some flaws, I replaced it by a neutral one : best idea, as I had this exact size waiting in watchbox for a while. I chose a Croco grain leather strap with white stitching, in a quite close colour to what was delivered. I think that burgundy or dark brown is definitely the way to go.

The dial is not really white, it's somewhere between white and silver . The concentric circles in the subdials make them look glossy, still very readable.

The recessed date is acceptable and the lume too, although I feel it's really not an issue there.

And...how is it as a rep ?

I would say that it might look like the real thing on the wrist. But if someone who knows the model look at it or if you make a side by side comparison, it will not take him long to spot the flaws. There are quite many.

Here's one picture of the gen, found on Omega's website.

09genuinegq8.jpg

Actually I have no idea how the real case back looks like, but the single Seamaster marking is enough to make an Omega fan wonder about the watch. That's a dumb mistake. It did not prevent me from buying the thing however.

The gen diameter is advertized at 41mm, which is close to the values I gave before. The problem is that I don't know if Omega include the crown-guards or not in their case measurement.

Second big tell is that this model is a two-tone, whereas it seems to exist only in full YG or RG or SS...

The crystal should be doomed, and the rep has a flat one. I must say I have a preference for flat crystals, which avoid magnifier effects. It's sapphire, and that sounds good, as I think I'll have it AR coated.

BTW, the gen is 100m waterproof, and I have the big luck to have one advertized at 300m !! :lol:

And finally, the subdial size and layout is not correct as well. But this is the kind of things you can only notice when you have both models in front of you.

So, my conclusion : an other dressy watch I'll enjoy wearing, although it's far from accurate in the replication. I consider this as the "old style" replicas, far from the current trend of very accurate replication methods, based on genuine samples *cough* Am I reading too much blah blah ? :lol:

Here's the final wristshot

10wrist1jm1.jpg

Guest SliceMaster

What a fantastic good looking watch :rolleyes: I want one aswell, can you give us some more info like the price and who you bought it from B)

OK I found it here at Joshuas site: http://www.pc-80108.com/omde10020-chronogr...nos-p-3138.html

and Andrew aswell: http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=1779 :lol::D

Swen

Edited by SliceMaster

Thx both ! :D

NSM : I'm going to PM you the seller.

Corgi : thx, coming from you that's a real compliment ! I have learnt everything from our photographers here, especially Pugwash and his tutorial on how to take good pictures, and from Jiro and for their Photoshop basic corrections. I'm not unhappy with the results and I'm glad you enjoy them as well : that's what I love in this hobby !

Here's the link to all things we must know to make our reps even more desirable...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=166

I have one rule on the lighting : I get the best shots with daylight. Maybe I'm using bad lamps ;)

That's the dressiest Omega I've ever seen :) Too much of an 'old man's' watch for me, but I can see why it appeals to those who like classy watches. As long as small flaws don't bother you then it's fine, it's apparent that quite a lot of forum members get too 'anal' when it comes to minute details. At the end of the day it's a replica, and we purchase them for a fraction of what they're sold for.

It's like us wanting to buy a Toyota or a BMW for $400 or less and still expecting it to be exactly the same as a Toyota or a BMW ;) it's not gonna happen :lol:

Very nice dress watch, and very good review, objective, etc.

I always love this watch, sometime it was on my wish list, I wanted it, but due to lot of flaws I abandon the purchase -_-

Sometime, a rep is very attractive, and that can be a mistake to skip it due to his flaws compare to the gen...if it is nice, why not ! Congrat !

Good review Pix.....and a really classy watch....I wish you health to wear it..!

In the search for perfection.....sometimes we forget the fundamentals....and that is to wear a watch that simply looks good....and there are many out there......I personally like two tone watches..this one of yours being one of my favourites.....and also it's brother....the braceleted DeVille chronometer.

081OMEGADEVILLETWOTONE14copy.jpg

In the search for perfection.....sometimes we forget the fundamentals....and that is to wear a watch that simply looks good....and there are many out there......

That is so true TTK!

Sound so obvious but I personaly do forget to look at a watch that simply looks good too.

I'll chase a dressy Omega myself now -_-

• 3 months later...