When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster Gmt

Pugwash

Edit. See this post before 'admiring' the pics.

74580-31817.jpg

This watch costs $108. Let me say that again: This watch costs $108.

It's an Asian movement with a GMT hand that does the do in 24 hours, and so far it seems to keep time, but I've not synched it or anything yet. It is unusual in cheap Omega reps in so far as it came with two half-links on the bracelet, which makes it the first Omega I've been able to size and wear.There's not a lot to say, so I'll get on with the pictures.

74580-31818.jpg

74580-31819.jpg

74580-31820.jpg

74580-31821.jpg

74580-31822.jpg

74580-31823.jpg

Trusty has it for sale here. Comments appreciated.

Edited by Pugwash

Ok, honesty time. I'm looking at the pics today and there are a couple of good ones, but I really think I screwed up the lighting on most of them. The non-tent one (2nd pic: the close up on the face with the reflection and the waves) is the best of the lot. In my eagerness to share, I posted a bunch of flat, average pics, and that won't do.

I'll re-shoot this one, folks. You deserve better and the watch deserves a lot better.

Excellent pics. The best close-ups of this model we've had so far.

A couple of comments...

The lume is at least the correct colour. Most SMP reps I have seen with raised markers have been too green looking. Also, whatever movement they've put in there has permitted them to fit a more accurate, shallower caseback. The 2824 based reps are too 'fat'. One of the main selling points of the old 'close factory' SMP was this accurate caseback (thanks to the 1mm thinner 2892/ST-18 movement) which looks to have made a return.

I just bought the same watch from Joshua. Same but different.

Fabulous!

Mine cost a little more than yours - but it has the correct clear caseback, settable GMT hand and an ETA 2386-2 movement.

I can't get mine off my wrist!. What a watch. I share your enthusiasm!

Having been used to daily fare of one Pannie or another, I cannot get used to how slim this watch is - it really hugs my wrist.

And - having said so many rude things about metal bracelets, over the years... I have to admit... this is comfortable. The first bracelet watch I have known that is as comfortable as leather.

There you go guys... If you need a new GMT - this one is highly reccommended. And you have a choice of Asian movement from Andrew or Swiss from Jos.

As a dear friend of mine might say...

"Life is good" :lol:

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Edited by Highflyingclive

Excellent pics. The best close-ups of this model we've had so far.

No, they're not excellent. I'll do you some excellent pics tomor...oh, no England playing and I'm off to the British Embassy in Paris to watch the match. Monday?

With it having an Asian 12J movement, does the second hand sweep as per the real one? It actually looks nicer than the new ETA version 2.

This little nugget of information will get through to people in the end...

The Omega Co-Axial movements have had the beat reduced from 28,800 in order to increase the power reserve of those particular calibres. An ETA 2836 (as well as being crap at impersonating a GMT movement) will actually beat TOO SMOOTHLY compared to the gen.

IMO the Asian GMT movement is by far and away the best choice for this watch. OK, so the ETA one comes with a display back, but it'll be putting what is very obviously the WRONG movement on display (and the fake dressing on the rotor will carry the wrong calibre number to add insult to injury).

This little nugget of information will get through to people in the end...

The Omega Co-Axial movements have had the beat reduced from 28,800 in order to increase the power reserve of those particular calibres. An ETA 2836 (as well as being crap at impersonating a GMT movement) will actually beat TOO SMOOTHLY compared to the gen.

That is a very interesting point.

My GMT has an incredibly smooth second hand - but as "everyone knows" that reps have bouncy second hands, that will impress all but the cognocenti. And only a small proportion of them will be able to recognise a co-axial escapement

To my mind, these are small details... there are other minor flaws on both versions... easily avaoidable and obvious... that should have been taken care of at the factory.

But a rep is only a rep. Both versions are excellent - and incredible value for money.

Personally, I'd rather have the reliability of the ETA - and I love the smooth sweep, even if it is wrong.

The trouble is - we have been spoilt. Reps have improved so much in the last year or two (and have become so much more affordable) that we are now expecting perfection. But there will always be flaws.

Personally, I'd rather have the reliability of the ETA - and I love the smooth sweep, even if it is wrong.

So called 'ETA reliability' is purely subjective, with little or no basis in fact. With the sort of quality of reps we are buying you can expect the same level of accuracy and reliability from any movement you may receive (with the exception of the known problems caused by third party modifications to movements).

99% of problems come down to poor quality control and have nothing to do with relative movement quality or design.

An ETA 2836 (as well as being crap at impersonating a GMT movement)...

Damn.

This comment has been rolling around my head all day.

You seem to have a lot of knowlege... but you intersperse it with opinion, which isn't very helpful.

If you are aware of technical issues, please tell us about them. Calling the movement "crap", is of no help at all. How can we learn from you if you don't share the information that you have in your head?

As to the reliability and longevity of the latest breed of Asian movements... it is too soon to say. I have to say, that so far, none of mine have developed problems.

But let's face it... previous attempts have not been a resounding success.

Over to you...

If you are aware of technical issues, please tell us about them. Calling the movement "crap", is of no help at all. How can we learn from you if you don't share the information that you have in your head?

The issues with the 2836 when deployed as a 'GMT' movement were covered directly here, and have since been brought up in other threads.

In a nutshell, a 2836 ETA GMT movement does not exist - it is a day-date movement that has been taken away from spec by the rep factories in order to visually approximate a GMT movement. The problems are many and varied, such as the hour hand not being independently adjustable, or not adjusting by precise one hour increments. This is what I mean when I say it is crap at impersonating a GMT movement as without the forementioned functionality the GMT facility is compromised.

In addition, the GMT hand invariably starts running out of sync, with no means of regulating it.

Edited by r11co

The issues with the 2836 when deployed as a 'GMT' movement were covered directly here, and have since been brought up in other threads.

In a nutshell, a 2836 ETA GMT movement does not exist - it is a day-date movement that has been taken away from spec by the rep factories in order to visually approximate a GMT movement. The problems are many and varied, such as the hour hand not being independently adjustable, or not adjusting by precise one hour increments. This is what I mean when I say it is crap at impersonating a GMT movement as without the forementioned functionality the GMT facility is compromised.

In addition, the GMT hand invariably starts running out of sync, with no means of regulating it.

Thank you for the link - and for your insight.

But - are you expecting a little too much from a rep? Especially at this price? Perhaps the 2893 will function as a "true" GMT. I don't know, I don't own one. I do own a large collection of GMT reps, though... both ETA and cheap Chinese... never had a problem with any of them.

This is my first GMT with a modified 2836 movement. It has been on my wrist for a week and shows not the slightest indication of the GMT hand going out of sync. But I'll keep my eye on it and let you know.

I know of no rep GMT watches that have the function of being able to adjust the hour hand whilst the GMT hand remains stationery. If you know different, please let us know. But to call reps "crap" because they don't do this is probably a bit extreme.

Never say never, Mr Bond...

Perhaps we will see reps with "proper" GMT movements one day. One day we may see reps with working moon-phase dials, too. Don't say it will never happen... I predicted that the upside-down "engraving" on the early Pam 111 reps woiuld never be corrected. I have had to eat those words :-).

Words like "never" and "invariably" should be handled with great care. :D

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Wait until I redo the pics. It'll be prettier then. :D

Hurry up! I love your pics!

I had to stick these shots in this thread.

Both of these watches were purchased from a dealer on these forums. (unfortunately, no longer available)

I paid 100.00 for each of them. Both asian movements.

Of the 20 plus rep watches I own, the Omega Seamaster Pro is the best of the lot. Smooth second hand, fabulous luminosity, too green?, but nice. THE MOST Comfortable bracelet ever. I have been wearing both these pieces for two plus years, with NO PROBLEMS. They don't lose or gain time, parts don't fall off them, etc. It just goes to prove that eta is not the only way to go.

Recently I purchased the 'Perfect 2005 Submariner' from one of our asian dealers for the 100.00 non eta model, and although it isn't eta, so far it has run just fine. If all quality asain reps were available for 100.00 with automatic movements, I would probably own 40 watches.

75865-31568.jpg

Both of these watches were purchased from a dealer on these forums. (unfortunately, no longer available)

76110-31499.jpg

The watch on the left is the much sought after SMP case with the correct He valve placement!

• 7 months later...

Of the 20 plus rep watches I own, the Omega Seamaster Pro is the best of the lot. Smooth second hand, fabulous luminosity, too green?, but nice. THE MOST Comfortable bracelet ever. I have been wearing both these pieces for two plus years, with NO PROBLEMS. They don't lose or gain time, parts don't fall off them, etc. It just goes to prove that eta is not the only way to go.

Recently I purchased the 'Perfect 2005 Submariner' from one of our asian dealers for the 100.00 non eta model, and although it isn't eta, so far it has run just fine. If all quality asain reps were available for 100.00 with automatic movements, I would probably own 40 watches.

193666-4380.jpg

Hi guys,

First post on this forum, which I am very lucky to have found!

I've already purchased a 'noobmariner' with the Asian movement from Josh, and waiting for it to come. However, my weapon of choice and probably daily beater will be an Omega Seamaster Pro. As I plan to wear it on (almost) a daily basis, I am wondering whether I should pay up the extra 100$-odd and go for the Swiss ETA movement, or get another Asian movement like the noobmariner.

What I'd like to know from those of you who've had this specific model using the Asian movement, is whether you've had any issues with it in the last 6 months since the last post on this thread, or whether they continue to run strong like you mention above.

I am planning ot buy either from Andrew or Josh, any preferences in models there?

Thanking you in advance,

L

As I plan to wear it on (almost) a daily basis, I am wondering whether I should pay up the extra 100$-odd and go for the Swiss ETA movement, or get another Asian movement like the noobmariner.

If it's 100% certain this will be your primary watch, I'd advise the ETA, unless money is tight.

There is nothing wrong with the Asian movements, but the ETA can be fixed with standard parts.

If it's 100% certain this will be your primary watch, I'd advise the ETA, unless money is tight.

There is nothing wrong with the Asian movements, but the ETA can be fixed with standard parts.

Hey Pugwash,

The more I read, nothing seems 100% certain any more... :rolleyes: So many choices of rep watches, so little time!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

However, yes, it does seem like a good candidate for my "work" watch: a nice design, fairly accurate rep, and unlike the Rolex Submariner - not one that will be immediately thought of as a rep.

Nonetheless, the main question that remains in my mind is how reliable is the Asian Auto 21J used in the cheaper Omega Seamaster models? The more I read, the more I get confused. That's why I was hoping that people who've been wearing and using them frequently for over 6 months would post their thoughts.

As for the question of money, I would indeed pay up the difference if it was really worth it. I would rather though get-by with the cheaper version if it's reliable enough, and buy 2 different watches for the same amount.....

Thank you for your answer,

Loukas