When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comex Complete

freddy333

1st quick & dirties of my (just completed) Comex 5514 Sub (shown here next to its gen-powered siblings)

55140371-1.jpg

5514comex20091.jpg

5514comex20101.jpg

5514comex0041.jpg

5514comex0101.jpg

stemalignment0161.jpg

Rolex 1520

Rolex Triplock 702

Rolex 2mm springbars

MBW 5514 case with working Hev

Gen T19 crystal

Clarks 1570 handset (vintagized to match dial)

Gens for comparison

GoldBullion030.jpg

5514.jpg

080128-093329.jpg

UPDATE - A more formal shot of the completed watch

comex-gmt-daytona006a1.jpg

In the name of the Queen, I now pronounce my search for the holy grails complete.

Nice work! Wear it well.

Very nice results, great job Freddy! :thumbs:

Great job indeed looking good freedy thx for sharing.

regards Laz

I am with Arty here Freddy.

Incredible collection you're building.

Fantastic detail: the 33 is amazingly well done.

Cheers

Stephane

Amazing. :notworthy:

Congrats from a Comex lover

OMG...

I'm lost for words... :notworthy:

Thank you. Your kind comments & support are appreciated.

Great watch!

What bezel did you use? Doesnt look like regular MBW...

Oops, I guess I forgot to add a couple of construction details - Bezel is from MY, insert is PMWF with the usual Illumines Dot (pearl) from Ofrei.

Great work as usual Freddy. Where do you source your 1570's? i"m always a little apprehensive about the ones on the bay..

P.

I must either be very lucky or have a good 6th sense about people, because (with the singular & notable exception of Mr. Slimeball, who is in a separate category by himself) I have never really been ripped off on ebay. And I always overhaul these movements before installing them.

The 5514 (& standard early 5513s) was fitted with the 1520 calibre & that is what I used here.

Very nice job, Freddy. You did a great job 'aging' the Clark hands to match the dial. And a 702 crown w/ tube is quite a find. Those tubes are hard to come by.

Would a 93150 with 580 end pieces be correct for this watch?

Oh, the 702s - they were easy (it only took me 1 year of daily searching to find them). ;)

The bracelet is a bit of a sticky issue. I wanted (want) to fit a folded link 9315 with 380 or 580 ends, but I cannot rationalize the cost these things are going for these days. So my 2nd option was a 93150 with 580s (I may swap the gen 93150 from my Doublered over to the 5514, since it already has 580s & they are more correct on the Sub than the SD). I actually have a gen 93150 clasp in my parts box that I was considering to use to build a franken 93150 bracelet, but I have not been able to find a set of gen 93150 links in need of a bracelet (so if anyone has a set of 93150 links, please PM me). So, for the time being, I am strapping it with a waterproof strap.

Wow very nice.

Really great job do you have done.

How about the HE Valve looks a bit big to me?!?

But really a damn nice watch.

Congrats to this beauty.

Thanks Tribal. I think it just looks big because I decided to leave it unpolished, which gives it a dark gray appearance. But the valve piece is exactly the same size as the piece in my Doublered's working Hev

1665caseback0111.jpg

motorcycleadventure028bw1.jpg