When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Avitt Modded IWC Portuguese 3714-01

cc

Hello RWG,

This is my favorite dress watch of all time. I finally have one that's VERY reliable in my collection. It runs like a dream within 3-4 seconds per day. I waited a while to have this built. I'd like to thank Avitt and Chieftang for making this happen ;)

IWC Portuguese 3714-01:

Chieftang A/R

Avitt DLC Mainplate Mod ( http://www.rwg.cc/members/Permanent-fix-se...ml&hl=avitt )

&

Graphite Seconds @ 6 Treatment Mod ( http://www.rwg.cc/members/Graphite-Lubrica...Res-t67644.html )

Brushed Caseback Center

Genuine Black Gator

IWCPortuguese004.jpg

IWCPortuguese005.jpg

IWCPortuguese008.jpg

IWCPortuguese011.jpg

IWCPortuguese012.jpg

IWCPortuguese016.jpg

IWCPortuguese014.jpg

IWCPortuguese015.jpg

IWCPortuguese017.jpg

IWCPortuguese013.jpg

IWCPortuguese022.jpg

IWCPortuguese019.jpg

IWCPortuguese020.jpg

Enjoy!!

cc

I have exactly the same model on it's way to my mailbox and are keen to know who performed al these mod's for you! it looks stunning and would make me sleep better at night to know there's less risk with the second-at-6!

willing to share with the board or perhaps PM? Would greatly appreciate it!

This is really nice with all those mods!

What strap is that? watchboy's?

and how did you get that brushed look on the back?

Your watch is really awesome!

The strap is from The Watch Boys. Their straps are pretty good. Here is quote from Avitt on brushing the caseback:

1. Find a coin which is the size of the center area (a US quarter is exactly the right size).
  2. Place two layers of wide blue painters' tape on a piece of wax paper.
  3. Holding the coin down in the center of the tape, carefully cut around it with an exacto knife, leaving a hole in the tape.
  4. Peel the tape off of the wax paper.
  5. Carefully place the hole in the tape over the area to be brushed. It helps to keep the straight edge of the tape aligned with the direction of the brush strokes.
  6. Use repeated, straight strokes with a sanding pad to apply the brush marks (I used a 3M medium sponge).
  7. Remove the tape, and wipe down the case back.
  8. Take your coin, and stick it down to the brushed area with double-stick tape.
  9. Holding the coin in place, polish around the outer edge of the case back with a dremel or bench polisher.
  10. You're done!

I have exactly the same model on it's way to my mailbox and are keen to know who performed al these mod's for you! it looks stunning and would make me sleep better at night to know there's less risk with the second-at-6!

willing to share with the board or perhaps PM? Would greatly appreciate it!

Mods were preformed by my friend Avitt. He did this as a one-off project for me. I believe FrxAndy and Francisco still offer the graphite treatment and Chieftang for the A/R.

I would highly recommend at least the graphite treatment. My 3714-01 has an average power reserve of 40 hours.

How is the sweeping seconds @ 6 now? Is it more smooth than before the mods or is it still a bit 'jumpy' going around the 60 seconds subdial @ 6?

Btw, an awesome watch you made of it!

How is the sweeping seconds @ 6 now? Is it more smooth than before the mods or is it still a bit 'jumpy' going around the 60 seconds subdial @ 6?

Btw, an awesome watch you made of it!

Still a bit "jumpy" but power preserve is outstanding.

Hey CC, how's the quality of that gator strap? Is it genuine gator? I ask this because there's been discussion either on here or on repgeek where some members say adamantly that their gator straps are simply embossed calf skin. From your photos it looks like real gator. From the ones shown on the watchboy's website, they look more like calf with a gator pattern. Thanks!

Edited by JCYL

Just to clarify: None of the fixes (graphite or DLC) will fix the "jumpiness". It isn't caused by drag or "stiction", but rather by the loose mesh of the gears that drive the seconds hand. It's inherent in the design of the movement.

I don't think anyone on this forum is offering this graphite treatment as a service to public now. :(

Francisco has confirmed that he's no longer offering this. oh no! :(

The problem is that eventually, anyone offering this service is bound to screw up a set of hands or a dial, and disappoint the person who they're trying to help. The risk is too significant to make these types of mods worthwhile...

Hey CC, how's the quality of that gator strap? Is it genuine gator? I ask this because there's been discussion either on here or on repgeek where some members say adamantly that their gator straps are simply embossed calf skin. From your photos it looks like real gator. From the ones shown on the watchboy's website, they look more like calf with a gator pattern. Thanks!

My strap from TWP is indeed genuine alligator. One tell is at the scales when you bend the straps. It's character where it bends is just like real alligator skin. It also FEELS different from leather. I've had several rep croc straps that come with our reps and they feel nothing like the TWB strap. Rep straps or Bob's croc straps are simply pressed leather to resemble croc patterns.