When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the Seamaster 300 Diver Chrono

chubbchubb

Review of the Omega Seamaster 300 Diver (Reference 2569.52.00)

Glamshot.jpg

The Seamaster Line is Omega’s popular line of sport watches and offers both Chronograph and non-Chronograph watches. The Seamaster Chronograph line features a number of models currently based on the following movements:

Omega 1164 = based on the Valjoux 7750 - (those with the 6/9/12 subdial layout). This includes the classic blue dial and the newer black dial Seamaster 300 Diver Chrono with the skeleton hands.

Omega 3310 = based on Piguet 1285 (those with the 3/6/9 subdial layout) this includes the Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronograph and the Seamaster 300 Diver Chrono with the broad sword hands, which is available in various dial and bezel versions and which is reviewed here.

Omega 3313 = equally based on Piguet 1285 and in comparison to the 3310 equipped with Co-Axial Escapement - this calibre is used in the Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono.

Omega 3602 = based on ETA 2892-A2, Dubois Depraz 2027. This calibre is used in the Seamaster Racing Chronometer and the Seamaster NZL-32 Chrono.

General impression:

The bad things first, but please read on...

This watch actually has a number of visible flaws if you compare it side by side with the gen. It shares most of these flaws with many other chrono reps since they are based on the difference in movement used in the gen and the rep and the subsequent necessary design variations. My Omega Planet Ocean Chrono for example, (see my signature for a review) suffers from quite the same movement related flaws.

Having said that, the look and feel of this watch is impressive. It feels like a genuine, luxury watch. It is heavy, solid, shiny, smooth on the edges and with lots of fine detail. The tactile impression is very good and better than many other high-end reps. I bet that any non-WIS would consider this the real McCoy.

• Like 1

I love it. This is anothre great looking Seamaster. If the standard blue SMP Chrono is any indicator of the quality on this one...it's tops!! This is a great looking watch...and even with the flaws, a nice variant with the tricompax layout to the black version of the older blue SMP300.

Thanks for writing this up. A great Omega post indeed!!

Thanks for this review. Very interesting - I am considering this model. It is hard to tell from the

pictures, but does this model have the sunken date wheel problem?

Nope... the date (font, windowsize) is a pretty perfect replication of the gen. The datewindow just sits a tad closer to the edge of the dial (as it is part of the subdial@6) than on the gen.

Awesome review. Thanks for putting that together.

Crown threads still on the outside and suck?

Good question... (as I'm wearing another watch today...) - I've had no problems with the crown at all. As I said, the watch feels and behaves very solid and genlike.

Great review, but the one flaw that led me to give this rep to my friend was not mentioned. I've brought it up every time this watch is mentioned, and people seem to blow it off. But the gen bracelet links get taller (not wider) as they approach the case. This gives the gen a much more rugged, beefy look. If you don't believe me, go try on a gen.

The bezel on mine eventually died on me, it turned smoothly in either direction. But I wore mine in the shower, etc, and probably rusted the inner workings :bangin:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol, thread bump!

However, yes the sub dials work just fine - on mine at least. Lovely rare watch, much less common than the blue one. Good luck hunting one down.

Great report!.

Could you please tell us if the Omega Seamaster Chronograph Black Asian 7750 subdials @ 3, 6 and 9 work properly as the original.

I would appreciate your comments

Thank you.