When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

D4M's Review of the Tag Heuer Formula 1 Quartz (all colors)

Daytona4me

I purchased these watches for review purposes to determine their quality as a good option for a daily beater and to check their accuracy to the genuine as they would provide a nice low cost accurate option for those easing themselves into this hobby slowly and dont mind a Quartz movement (supposed ETA).

Completely hi-jacked from TAG's site: “Fernando Alonso, the Formula 1 double World Champion and driver for the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team, has participated in the design of this new chronograph that reflects his relaxed, sporting image. A symbol of robustness and strength, the New TAG Heuer Formula 1 series has been reinterpreted with greater purity of lines and an extraordinary attention to detail.” blah blah blah.. so you now the background now.. lol.. moving on..

tag_f1023.jpg

tag_f1016.jpg

tag_f1034.jpg

Most people would think you were I were lying if I told you that this model weighs more than a Panerai 111 on a leather strap. It's true It's true! Took a photo just to prove it.

This rep comes in at 140.1 grams so it is not a light weight by any means.

Below are some popular mechanical watches so you know how it compares.

Breitling Skyland (on bracelet) = 237.8 grams

IWC Cousteau'07 (on rubber)= 152.3 grams

TAG Heuer Formula 1 (on bracelet)= 140.1 grams

Panerai 111H (on leather) = 130.5 grams

tag_f1038.jpg

Some quick measurements that are worth noting about this watch.

Lug Size = 20mm

Bracelet = 20mm which tapers to 18mm at the clasp.

Case w/out crown = 41mm

Case to crown = 45mm

Case back to Crystal = 12.7mm

tag_f1026.jpg

tag_f1024.jpg

tag_f1012.jpg

My feeling is that the rep factories came really close to the reproducing the dial colors for this model. I think the Orange dial is just a hint lighter than the genuine but it is hard to determine without having them side by side. It is a decent representation of the genuine although it would be better if the dial fonts and logo were crisper.

tag_f1030.jpg

tag_f1029.jpg

The Red and Black Dials are very nice but my favorite color is the White Dial.

I think it is the classiest of the 4 dials available and really looks nice on the wrist.

I am happy that they paid attention to the sub-dial hands matching them to the color of the dial (on the Red and Orange models) and silver for the white and black dials.

tag_f1033.jpg

tag_f1035.jpg

tag_f1006.jpg

tag_f1005.jpg

I made a special trip to the local shopping mall just so I could try on this model so I could get a feel for the bracelet, crown, crown guards and chrono pushers. As expected, the crown, crown guard and chrono pushers are not spot on and the machining of them could be better from the replica factory as they do not feel as nice as the genuine, sub-par in my opinion but well above chincy.

tag_f1010.jpg

The bracelet and clasp are similar although the bracelet is nicer than the clasp when compared to the genuine. Both the genuine and the replica bracelet do not feel heavy duty like you would find with the Breitling Skyland, they are light weight and disappointing to say the least but that is not to say that the replica bracelet does not represent the genuine well. It is not spot on but it is close to the genuine.

tag_f1009.jpg

I did not review the case back because I do not have my spring bar tool and I could not get a good shot of it.

Excellent review Greg. I will link this post to the TAG Guide asap.

Very good looking rep. Black one especially. This should go to the "top bargain buys" guide too.

PS: I wish they'd rep the quartz Aquaracer chrono with this kind of quality/accuracy. Imagine the sales potential of a $120 quality quartz rep of this model.

pk-000000000005776-0624179b7fbf442884eeb7341171c2ba-30-1.jpg

Thanks for the review. I have a gen with the red dial. It only cost me $900, although;Its a quartz. I think this is a great watch for someone just starting out. My first rep was the Omega PO chrono quartz. Great little watch for the money. Nice review/pics,thanks :) Mike

Great review, D4M. I enjoyed it and found it very informative. I took (mental) notes, since I would like to buy a Tag Heur in the near future. I prefer the Carrera to the F1, but I have learned a lot from your post... I appreciate your review. Thanks, mate.

relox

Very nice watch for the money, I like the white dial but the orange would be kind of fun.

On Josh's site these have the ETA quartz movement, not bad.

Where can these be gotten for $80?